jott
Private

T/O 7-11 February 26, 1944

Mon Sep 30, 2019 18:30

Based on the Medical Detachment (Infantry Regiment) T/O 7-11 February 26, 1944, for the each of the three battalions, each had 2 officers and 32 enlisted men.

Each battalion section had:
a) Battalion Aid Station with 2 officers, 8 enlisted men
b) Litter Bearer Group with 12 enlisted men
c) Company Aid Group with 12 enlisted men (for rifle companies, 4 enlisted man per company [3 rifle platoons and one weapons platoon] X's three rifle companies is 12 enlisted men)

Does this look correct? If it does, then who handles medical side of things for the battalion's Weapons Company (Companies: 1BN 'D', 2BN 'H' and 3BN 'M')? For Weapons Companies, there was "HQ Company", "Heavy Machine Gun Platoon" and "Mortar Platoon". At the battalion level, there doesn't seem like enough company aid-men to handle the two platoons within a Weapons Company within a battalion (12 aid-men vs. 14 aid-men). What am I missing? And I'm also assuming that the four companies of a battalion shared the Litter Bearer Group of 12 enlisted men, used when and where they needed to be used?

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: T/O 7-11 February 26, 1944

Tue Oct 01, 2019 17:19

It is my understanding that the aid men were not necessarily distributed evenly between companies and were not necessarily permanently attached to particular platoons or even companies.

The aid men were part of the battalion medical section and under the command of the battalion surgeon / medical officer and were assigned to sub units according to need. For example additional aid men might be assigned to a company engaged in an attack or they may even have been utilized as additional manpower within the battalion aid station. This is In a similar way that you suggest that litter bearers were assigned as needed. This was part of the medical officers job to devise a medical plan for the battalion as needed.

Having said that I am sure that there were some aid men that were for practical purposes almost permanently attached to particular sub units. For a popular example there is medic Eugine Roe who is described by Stephen Ambrose in his books as the easy company medic of the 506th PIR.

I can’t offer direct evidence for this but maybe someone else could add light to the subject.

Return to “General Discussion”