WC_54
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ben Hur trailer in Medical Service...need pics and ideas

Sat Feb 24, 2007 05:16

Greetings All,

This is such a great forum to share information...again Thanks! to the founders.

I need some help from you all. This spring I am doing up my rebuilt wood Ben Hur 1 ton trailer as a medical unit trailer. Something that would have been towed behind a WC or CCKW and left at the Regimental or Battalion Aid Station. Does anyone have any period pictures of Ben Hur's in Medical service.

I am building wood side racks and have a tarpaulin on the way. Thinking about a Geneva Cross on the sides and top of the tarp and a smaller one painted on the 4 sides of the wood trailer.

Thanks

Bill
1942 WC-54
1942 Ben Hur Medical Trailer
1944 Chevrolet 1.5 Ton 4x4 Combat Fire Truck model 325
1942 Chevrolet Airfield Crash truck model 125
Many, Many other WWII HMV's

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:26

Bill,

Thanks again for your kind words regarding our website.

In answer to your query, I took a look at T/O 7-11, of March 1, 1943, which lists all of the equipment that was issued to the Medical Detachment of an Infantry Regiment. A copy of this Table can be found by clicking on the thumbnail below:

As can be seen, officially neither the Regimental or Battalion Aid Station Groups of the Infantry Detachment were issued with the Ben Hurr Trailer, or officially Trailer, 1 Ton. Perhaps you will be best off looking at the T/O & E for your own branch, and seeing how many of these trailers the various detachments had.

I hope that is a help, and I am sure that if I have made an error, I shall be corrected.

Thanks again for your kind words regarding the site,
Ben

WC_54
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Feb 25, 2007 18:45

Ben,

Thank you for posting that.

I have never seen that allocation table before.

I was going by the table graphic that is in the book Government Issue Collectors Guide by Henri Paul Enjames. On page 222 it shows a breakdown of vehicles allocated to a Med Battalion. The Bat HQ company had 3 Ben Hur trailers with 5 CCKW's to tow them and the Clearing company was assigned another 4 Ben Hur trailers with 5 cckw's to town them.

Somewhere I have seen both CCKW's and Dodge vehicles (either a Weapons Carrier or Ambulance) towing 1 tons in Medical dress. At the time I did not save the picture to my private reference library and I now can't find them again.

I realize that I may be stretching the application of "farbyism" here...but I need a trailer to haul my Med stuff around. I want to be as close to authentic as possible in appearance when pulling this trailer.

Bill
1942 WC-54
1942 Ben Hur Medical Trailer
1944 Chevrolet 1.5 Ton 4x4 Combat Fire Truck model 325
1942 Chevrolet Airfield Crash truck model 125
Many, Many other WWII HMV's

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Feb 25, 2007 22:38

Bill,

I totally empathise with the necessity for a trailer to transport items to events in. We've had to upsize a number of times in order to transport the stuff to and from events.

I took a look at the graphical chart you mentioned, and noticed, like you said that the Battalion HQ Company had the Ben Hurr trailers. I would probably say that your best bet in this case, is to mark up the trailer as HQ Company. Although on paper these would not have been found at the BAS or RAS, I think it won't be too inaccurate to use the markings.

Hope that helps, and I hope that your trailer turns out great.
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “General Discussion”