Skypig
Sergeant
Sergeant

97th Evacuation Hospital

Tue Jan 04, 2011 05:17

Anybody know what the Distinctive Unit Insignia for the 97th Evacuation Hospital looked like? I've found the DUI for the 97th General Hsopital, but not the Evacuation Hospital. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you. Mike

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: 97th Evacuation Hospital

Tue Jan 04, 2011 06:52

Hey Mike - I looked thru my Heraldic Crests book and didn't find even a modern DUI for the 97th Evac Hospital.

FYI - the 97th Gen Hospital DUI was approved Oct 6, 1969 even though the unit was first activated for WW2. Looks like most of the Evac and Gen Hospitals didn't get their DUI approved until the 1969-1971 time frame.

Peter
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Alain
Major
Major

Tue Jan 04, 2011 15:07

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid Peter is right ! There was NO DI for the 97th Evacuation Hospital in world War 2.

Best,
Alain :mrgreen:
MRC Administrator

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed Jan 05, 2011 00:54

Alain -

Do you know what DUI they would have worn? Is there a default Med Dept DUI or would they have worn that of their parent unit - 1st Army for example.

Under current regulations, a unit is supposed to wear the DUI of a parent unit.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Jan 05, 2011 04:14

So the next question is, was an Evacuation Hospital a free standing unit, or was it part of a larger parent unit? Secondly, if they did not have a DI did they have a patch? And while we are on the subject, was the 97th Evac. Hopt. part of the 3rd Army? This answer may have been in the unit history in this website but I didn't see it.
What Skypig and I are attempting to do is document this unit more so as to better define a role for one of our AMC officers for living history purposes. Thanks Mike for getting this query started.
Thanks,
Dirk

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed Jan 05, 2011 05:44

Looks like the 97th was assigned to the Third Army stateside and First Army once on the European continent.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/AMEDDArdennes/ETOArdennes.html Footnote 29 page 413.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/FUSA1945/FUSA1945.htm

The FUSA Operations Plan also lists the 97th as one of its subordinates for Neptune/Overlord.

Its hard to tell whether they actually wore the FUSA patch on their field uniforms. The 97th Evac article has a photo but I can't tell whether they are wearing patches.

In my opinion, you could get away with wearing the patch or not wearing the patch. Wearing the FUSA patch would provide another talking point for your impersonation - explaining the role of the evacuation hospital and how it provides support at the Army level and its subordinate units. Not wearing the patch would be also be acceptable knowing that replacement uniforms didn't come with unit patches and supply channels had more important things to ship overseas such as beans and bullets.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

Skypig
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Jan 05, 2011 15:41

You guys are pretty freaking awesome. Thanks for the help. Mike

Alain
Major
Major

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22

Hi Guys,
The notes posted about wearing the SSI of both FUSA and/or TUSA are correct (applied in the ETO). Also the 7th and 9th US Army SSI was sometimes worn by medical units attached to field Armies and/or Corps.

Mind you, there are plenty of illustrations showing medical personnel wearing the Army Service Forces SSI upon arrival in the ETO. And I'm certain that many did not necessarily adapt the insignia to reflect their subsequent assignments or attachments. There was not always time for this, there was no priority to apply the change, the insignia were simply not available...

Best,
AIain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Return to “General Discussion”