johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

The infamous Utah Beach Medic Bag

Mon May 23, 2011 17:08

So after 25 years of looking at this picture and trying to figure out what the bag in between the kneeling medics is, I found one on Ebay the other day....
So the question now is, what was carried in it?

'29th, Let's Go!'

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: The infamous Utah Beach Medic Bag

Mon May 23, 2011 19:58

Nice Find Johan!

I have never seen anything like it. Is the bag waterproofed at all? What are the dimensions? Any markings?

I don't think I have any source documents related to the 4th ID on D-Day, but I will check again.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon May 23, 2011 20:45

No, it's just plain webbing....

Size is roughly 12"x 8" and 2' high.... Bottom is reinforced...

No markings at all and in all these years I have never found any reference to it in any manual, book or website.

I know one other collector in Belgium who has one, but that's about it...

Johan
'29th, Let's Go!'

Ben
Major
Major

Tue May 24, 2011 00:56

Hi Johan,

Congratulations on a very nice find indeed. I've been looking for one of these myself, but it seems they're extremely uncommon. Unfortunately, since it seems the items were idiosyncratic to the 4th Infantry Division on D-Day, I have been unable to find any reference to a possible list of contents. I do seem to recall reading about them some time ago in a book about Medical Supply in Normandy, so I will see whether I can track down the source once again, and see whether it makes any indication of the possible contents for the item.

Thank you for sharing this 'goody' with us.

Kind regards,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue May 24, 2011 09:19

Thanks Ben, meanwhile I have found out that these would have seen extensive use in the Pacific. From what I was told these had an internal cardboard box. There would have been an Army version and a Navy version that are slightly different.

Still looking for official info though...
'29th, Let's Go!'

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue May 24, 2011 16:36

A French collector sent me these pictures of a USN Medical Bag in his collection..... You can see the similarities between the USN and Army models...

He says that when he bought the bag it was described as UNIT 7, being part of a line of Medical Assault Bags used by USMC Medical personnel (USN Corpsmen).

US Collector Robin B owns an identical USN model marked UNIT N0 6 PACK, BLANKET, COMBAT...

Looking at the bag in my collection, I'm convinced it was made for the Army Med Dept, as the canvas, straps and buckles are typical for the many MD bags and pouches of the WW2 era.
Which bag came first, USMD or USN remains difficult to say...

Unless of course they are both US Navy models with a variation of color and buckles, and that the bag on the UTAH Beach picture came from USN Corpsmen who came ashore with the Naval Beach Battalions on D-Day and somehow ended up with the 4th Division's Army Medics....

Whatever the outcome, a great item and even greater addition to my D-Day displays...
'29th, Let's Go!'

PhM3 Bowers
Private

Sun Apr 08, 2012 08:19

Gentlemen, I believe I may be able to make your day. Using the info provided, I looked through the Navy's Hospital Corps Handbook and found the answer to your question. The bag is a "Case, Canvas, Carrying" (Naval Supply Number 14-035). It's dimensions are listed as being 26x13x8 and it holds the Unit 6 or "Pack, Covers, Combat" and weighed in at 46 lbs when fully loaded. There would be 3 in the inventory for a BAS and 3 in the inventory for a Regimental Aid Station. The contents are as follows:

13-130 Pad, Heat, Chemical......4
13-135 Pad, Heat, Chemical, Refill for......4
14-250 Blanket, Combat, Canvas......15
14-280 Case, Canvas, Carrying......1

From my point of view, the 14-280 pouch (which is the common little bag marked USN with a red cross that ATF and WW2 Imp sells) is what holds the heat pads and the large bag in the photo is used to carry that and the canvas blankets.

The Unit 7 uses the same pack and is the "Pack, Combat Dressings" and it weighs in at 33 lbs when fully loaded. It carries 2 tins of combat dressings and one 14-280 pouch.

Here's a photo of a Corpsman on Iwo carrying a similar looking bag that I always wondered what it was. It's either this bag, or a Jungle Pack (speculating its a jungle pack due to the shovel being mounted on it.)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6109_n.jpg

Skylighter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon May 07, 2012 14:08

For reference purposes some pictures of a USN model. Also note the printed lines on the canvas to guide the correct placement of others parts of the bag on the right position.

austinbeergeek
Private

Fri Jun 21, 2013 14:00

For what it's worth, the guy at the center of the pic is my Dad, unfortunately he never spoke of his experience much before he passed in 2006.

Return to “General Discussion”