Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Help identifying object in photo

Sun Mar 25, 2012 13:17

IMG_0125.JPG
p
Departing Camp Quorn for Stanhoe Airfield. Medics and soldiers of the 505 PIR prior to operation Neptune.
Photo from the book The Way They Were, Doc McIlvoy and His Parachuting Medics by Michael DeTrez.

I was hoping some one could help me identify the object carried under the left arm of the medic in the centre of the photo, a similar object carried under the left arm of the soldier on the right of the photo and also if it is likely that this object would be carried on the jump itself.

My initial impression was that it is a blanket roll consisting of a shelter half wrapping a blanket, however it could possibly be multiple blankets for the aid station supplies, tent fly for the aid station or other medical supplies.

Any help given would be appreciated. I am thinking of setting up a on the eve of D-Day display and would like to get things correct. I know I have seen the same thing in other photos of the 505 on the eve of D-Day.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Help identifying object in photo

Sun Apr 29, 2012 15:47

IMG_0130.JPG

Here is another photo of a medic carrying the item (the medic on the right of the photo). Again the 505th PIR prior to operation neptune.

Andrew

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sun May 06, 2012 04:31

IMG_1949.jpg

Here is another image showing the what appears to be the same object. This time it appears to be attached either to the musette bag or back of the web belt.

Andrew

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri May 11, 2012 01:01

Not sure this is "the object", but check out the similarities in this picture of Nurses of the 203rd General Hospital, Normandy, near Cherbourg, packing up, August, 1944
Attachments
Nurses 203rd c blankets.jpg

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri May 11, 2012 18:11

Oops, thought I had included:
Picture that nurse on the left, tucking the rolled-up end of the blanket (or bedding) under her right arm.
Lois

Return to “General Discussion”