Thomas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Red Cross Brassard

Tue Apr 03, 2007 17:50

Hello everybody,

I have a question about the following brassard. Is it possible that this brassard is original?? Or did the medic's only use the M-1924 Official Brassard??

Thanks a lot :wink:

Alain
Major
Major

Geneva Convention Brassard

Tue Apr 03, 2007 22:30

Hi Thomas,
At first glance, your illustration does not look to be an original Brassard, it is a pity you don't show the rear part - for the only official issue was the one with the Red Cross, the text related to Article 21 of the 1929 Geneva Convention, and the prefix letter and sequence of digits (also stamped on the medical ID card).
Some locally-made armbands may have been manufactured (like the Tabards later) but the risk was that they might have been misinterpreted by the enemy as a ruse-de-guerre, or fakes, for not being provided with the required official Geneva Convention stamps ! I personally think it is very unlikely that non-official issue brassards were ever made available.
You can read about the brassards in our Article : Identification of Medical Personnel, Vehicles and Installations.
Thanks for having consulted us.
Alain (MRC)

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:11

There is also a possibility it is an original however from a nation other than the U.S.

The "band" portion seems very wide for either U.S. , British or German brassards of WW2 vintage that were manufactured in conformance with military standards.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Thomas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wed Apr 04, 2007 09:16

Hi,

Thanks for the reactions.
I can't show you a picture of the rear, because I don't have one. It's a brassard from a friend of me. I wasn't sure that every brassard was official, so I asked it.
Thanks a lot!

Thomas

Return to “General Discussion”