jeeprobin
Private

JeepTrailer with red cross markings.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 20:57

just got this Bantam T3 trailer, built for Willys Mb and Ford GPW:s Etc. anyway it got some 5 or 6 layers of paint on it and the first one is olive drab. the second layer is white exept for the fenders that has the first layer of paint white with no OD under. the text on the side of the trailer reads -Vehicle Loaned By American Red Cross. i want to know anything you might know about the red cross markings on my trailer,
i have sanded through the white paint on several spots and have found no traces of White stars or numbers on the Olive drab. seems like it has been painted white directly after delivery from factory.

was A.R.C part of the lend lease ?

Alain
Major
Major

Re: JeepTrailer with red cross markings.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 15:54

Hi Jeeprobin,

Welcome to the Forum ! I hope you'll enjoy your stay ...

I've never seen this before. I would think that the trailer might have been on loan for a period, for a static show, an exhibition, or just to illustrate some type of equipment in use by the ARC (there are some figures too in the pic, unless they refer to max. speed or other recommendations/instructions).

During the postwar period, lots of organizations received military equipment, either sold at rock bottom prices, on loan, or as a gift to their organizations. UNRRA, Red Cross, Boy Scouts, obtained the same advantages. There was a vast quantity of military equipment available such as vehicles - tentage - canvas - blankets - tools, etc, following the end of WW2 and the Army considered it their duty to help other organizations, it certainly was good publicity too ...

The American Red Cross had nothing to do with Lend Lease, and was not a military organization as such !

I regret, but this is the best I could think of ...
Best wishes,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

jeeprobin
Private

Re: JeepTrailer with red cross markings.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:57

yes there are another layer of white paint over the first one. and instead of the "vehicles loaned by american red cross" its a square with two fields in wich L175 and Ev300 is painted. i think Length and Empty Veight. i have seen another picture of what appears too be Jeeps, Gmc trucks and Trailers all painted what appears to be white. but you cant see any markings.

Return to “General Discussion”