Gray Ghost
Private

Properly packing the Medical Private kit

Mon Nov 18, 2013 22:45

Is there a specific method for packing the Medical Private kit?

I have nearly completed my kit, but I am having a hard time getting it packed correctly. Do both bags get laced up? I can get the left bag laced and packed without a problem, but the right bag has been an issue. With it laced up, it seems like there is not enough space available. Obviously, leaving it unlaced is easy, but everything gets jumbled. That doesn't seem correct and I worry that the items will get damaged that way. I have seen many images of the kit laid out, but nothing about packing it up.

Any help is appreciated.

Alain
Major
Major

Re: Properly packing the Medical Private kit

Tue Nov 19, 2013 22:04

Hi Brandon,

There's no official instruction how to pack the contents of the Pouches.

It's always better to keep the heavy items at the bottom, but in general you can first try and improve the very shape of the canvas pouch by adding a piece of folded wire splint or some cardboard to each of the three sides of the pouch (in the form of a U). This system was implemented by some units in the field. It doesn't make sense to lace and reduce the size of the Pouch as it would then be too small to hold the required items (don't forget that some medics even added or replaced some contents).

I personally sometimes wrapped the smaller items in one of those white MD towels to keep them from moving around and hitting other heavier ones when actively re-enacting in the field ... I often grouped the contents in different layers (see illustrations of the kits on our webpages), and kept them separated by a piece of cardstock.

My two cents ...
Anyone with other hints ?

Good luck,
Alain :idea:
MRC Administrator

Skypig
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Nov 20, 2013 03:09

I'm an EMT, so I tend to pack my kit as I pack my go bag. I want the things I need first on top.

Gray Ghost
Private

Wed Nov 20, 2013 17:16

Thank you both for the advice, this is exactly the kind of thing of tips and tricks I am looking for! I hadn't thought about putting cardboard in to stiffen the bag, I will definitely try that out.

healthewarrior
Private

Sun Dec 01, 2013 23:27

The contents of a medic's bag is not limited to what is listed, as Alain mentioned some added extra items.

you could add extra dressings or D ration bars, cigarettes, toilet paper and anything else you can beg borrow or steal !

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Dec 05, 2013 07:08

As a living history presenter but also a modern medical professional, I suggest the answer is simple. Study the kinds of wounds you would expect to see, and learn how they were treated at the time, then stuff all of those treatment items into your bags. Leave out what you would not use and load up on what you would use. Read and study period manuals and journals and you cannot go wrong. Sure nice to hear of people like you who are making the effort to do it right.
Dirk

Return to “General Discussion”