Medikom
Private

ETO medics and sidearms

Sun Aug 09, 2015 15:46

First off, I know this has been a topic brought up before. However, it didn't have quite enough info for my purposes.

What I'm looking for is some sort of verifiable evidence that medics in the ETO would carry a sidearm from time to time. This evidence can be written orders, verifiable testimonies, preferably photographs. If anyone can find anything on the 9th ID carrying a sidearm, that would be the ideal solution for me.

Also, in case anyone says it; yes, medics were permitted under the Geneva Conventions of 1929 to carry a small personal weapon for protecting themselves without forfeiting their protected status.

Werem
Private

Re: ETO medics and sidearms

Wed Aug 12, 2015 17:10

"During one of the German counterattack, the Germans managed to penetrate our lines up to the perimeter of the aid station. At that point I took my brazzard of my arm, picked up my '45 went outside and helped to push the Germans back The brazzard with the red cross symbol was the only visible identification that you were a medic." - Frank South 2nd Ranger Bn Medic.
"God damn it then, Rangers... Lead the Way !!!"

Gen. Norman Cota 29th ID, 6 June 1944, Omaha

Bob M
Private

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:47

Werem wrote:"During one of the German counterattack, the Germans managed to penetrate our lines up to the perimeter of the aid station. At that point I took my brazzard of my arm, picked up my '45 went outside and helped to push the Germans back The brazzard with the red cross symbol was the only visible identification that you were a medic." - Frank South 2nd Ranger Bn Medic.

If he discarded his medical identification brassard, he was not a medic at that time. To the topic starter, it was a rule for ETO medics to carry any form of weaponry, therefor it is my opinion you will never find written evidence from the US Army or government allowing ETO medics to carry such things. Of course that does not mean medics didnt carry knives and/or sidearms at the time, but one thing for sure: they probably wore it tucked away under their clothing.

That being said, I do not think it is periodly correct to equip a mannequin or yourself as a re-enactor with a weapon since it was not standard.

Werem
Private

Thu Oct 01, 2015 16:19

Yea, but i posted this to show that medic switched roles if it was a necessary. My friend said he have few photos of medic who carried a knifes. If he replies me i will post it here :)
"God damn it then, Rangers... Lead the Way !!!"

Gen. Norman Cota 29th ID, 6 June 1944, Omaha

Bob M
Private

Tue Oct 06, 2015 19:25

If he "switches" role - from medic to non medic - he was NOT a medic at that time. ;)

Fort Susquehanna
Private

Thu Jul 07, 2016 23:45

On the TO&E of the Liaison Squadron in 1944, the medic's were issued M-3 trench knives. On the amendment of that document in 1945, it was adjusted to remove the knife from issue to medics.

Return to “General Discussion”