sh14g
Private

Help with transcribing a medical journal

Mon Aug 31, 2015 03:21

Hello,
I am researching medical units in the European theater, and I have come across the journal of a surgeon that was in theater from August 44 - August 45 (53rd Field Hospital). I am having trouble with a handful of abbreviations that were used.

The first is "PABs". For example, in context: "Bc WIA GSW left buttock (perf w), perf w of right thigh + leg. Debridement, PABs 5 gm, vasoline dressing."

The second is "SAD ointment". Again, in context: "Burn left palm + right arm, 1°, received when range imploded (drunk). Cleaned, 5% SAD ointment, vasoline dressing. Note to remove 3 days - to 6 au. Hosp." I think this may refer to Sulfadiazine ointment, but hope to confirm that.

Thanks for any advice or help with this,

SH

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Help with transcribing a medical journal

Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:52

SAD may represent silver sulpherdiazine (also called silvadine), a sulfonamide/silver antibacterial cream or ointment that was used topically for management of burns to reduce bacterial contamination.

It has seen reduced use in modern times as evidence suggests that wound healing times may be increased with this treatment.

I have no direct proof but that is my suggestion others may have a more informed opinion.

Regards
Andrew.

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:55

PABs may represent parenteral antibiotics.

Andrew

sh14g
Private

Thu Sep 03, 2015 05:30

Andrew, thanks for your replies. I'll look into the silver sulpherdiazine drug.

I also thought the PABs may be parenteral antibiotics, or perhaps prophylactic antibiotics - after seeing the medical record in context, I think it's unlikely. For example:

"Bc WIA GSW (rifle) Perf w abdomen with perf transverse colon sv. Rx- Laparotomy with stab colostomy (Mikulicz’s) Debridement wd entry + exit. 3 gm PABS with 33,000 u Penicillin"

In this case both PABs and Penicillin are listed. The only parenteral antibiotic that would have been available was Penicillin. And as you can see, it was usually dosed in a volume of 10,000s of units, rather than grams.

Thanks again for your help -

Sam

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Sep 04, 2015 07:16

Certainly interesting questions. A couple of thoughts:
1. No, not Silvadine (silver sulfadiazine) which was not developed until about 1972. I participated in the clinical trials for this drug in 1971. Also it is a 1% cream, but not an 5% ointment.
2. Sulfathiazole was made up as an ointment, which was usually 5%, and a standard 1940s burn treatment agent. I suspect that is our "5% SAD ointment"
2. Sulfa antibiotics could be and were given parenterally in the 1940s'. For example sulfapyridine was routinely given IV. In fact a common dose for a 150 lb adult was 4.0 grams. Combining Sulfa with penicillin was done in those days.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter
Dirk

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Sep 05, 2015 01:43

Hi Dirk

Thanks

I must admit I was not aware of the history of the introduction of SSD.

Medical records often contain non standard abbreviations. I wonder if these were standard abbreviations or just an individual's short hand?

Andrew

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Sep 07, 2015 00:49

Andrew
I have a hunch the shorthand of an individual or maybe a medical unit.
Dirk

sh14g
Private

Mon Sep 07, 2015 03:40

Dirk,
Thanks for your input. Thanks for the correction - I was not aware of this use of parenteral medications.

The records are from a hand-written personal journal - most abbreviations used appear to be standard when compared to the standardized terminology used. But easily could have been his personal shorthand notes.

Sam

Return to “General Discussion”