wdwight
Private

ID needed for Extra Large Medical Chest

Wed Jan 18, 2017 21:58

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the Introductions section, but got no replies. Perhaps one of you may have more information.
I seem to have acquired something that I have not been able to find a duplicate of.
I am assuming it is a Medical chest due to the substantial hardware that was use (molded handles, triple tooth latches, and lots of steel corners and supports). See attached pictures

I have seen many of the MD1 and MD2 models come up on eBay and referenced here, but I can not find another of this size.
It is approx 43" (L) x 27" (W) x 18.5" (H)
It has molded steel handles (2 handles on each side)
It has three (3 tooth) clasps in the front
It has 4 steel hinges on the back
There is nothing inside the unit and it doesn't look like there was anything removed from the original state (no holes or obviously missing parts)

I purchased it locally through Craigslist. Neither the seller nor I knew what it was, other than an old Army trunk.
His family had spray painted the interior and exterior gloss black and only a remnant of the stickers were visible.
I am not looking to sell the unit as I am in the process of repurposing it, but it would be fun to know what it was used for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wes
San Diego, CA
Attachments
Large Medical_4.png
Large Medical_3.png
Large Medical_1.png

Ben
Major
Major

Re: ID needed for Extra Large Medical Chest

Wed Jan 18, 2017 22:35

Wes,

My thought was that this item perhaps represented Item # 9617605: Chest, Field, 45 1/2 Inches Long by 18 Inches Wide by 18 Inches Deep, Empty, but of course, the dimensions are not correct. 9617605 is the only oversized Chest that I am familiar with, despite checking several original sources.

Hopefully one of our other members may be able to cast some light on the identity of your item.

Kind regards,
Ben.
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Re: ID needed for Extra Large Medical Chest

Sun Jan 22, 2017 21:11

It almost looks like the chest for the X-Ray machines. But if the dimensions aren't right... A puzzle!
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Return to “General Discussion”