Stolles
Private

USMD bandoleer ?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 22:58

Hi all !

I attend a french website where Militaria items can be sold... In the US section, a guy is selling a "Medical bandoleer" => it looks like a cartridge bandoleer, but it contains "Small first aid dressings" and the back is stamped like the Geneva convention armband "issued by medical department..." ?

=> so I wonder if such bandoleers especially for Medics did exist during WW2 or it's a kind of fake (because USMD items didn't use to be marked) Thanks for the help !

Sincerely, Ced.

Alain
Major
Major

MD Bandoleer

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:05

Hi Ced,
There's no such 'official' item as a Med Dept (ammo) Bandoleer . I've seen other jokers pretend the same, and know of one French Collector who pretended he had found a 'regular' bandoleer with small red crosses printed on each individual pouch, intended to hold bandage material . In the end, he told me he had added the markings himself ...
All the best,
Alain :)
MRC Administrator

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Bandoliers

Sun Jul 08, 2007 04:33

Ced, I'll second what Alain said. This has surely has to be a fake. It was however a practice for medics in the ETO to use ammo bandoliers as a resupply carrier, as well as the 10 pocket ammo / BAR belt and even the WW1 style grenade vest! However these were field improvised solutions and I doubt were ever MD property marked!
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Stolles
Private

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:20

Hi !

Thanks for you answers ^^
Actually I had a doubt when I saw the pics of the markings (USMD equipment is never marked... Maybe a guy who found an armband stamp had fun by using it on several bandoleers).

Sincerely, Ced.

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Jul 10, 2007 17:23

I use this very same setup when I take to the field with my '28 pack and Musette bag and leave the medic yoke/bags behind. The boxed Carlisles were buggers to get in there, and I imagine would be a pain getting out in a hurry. Neat to see it here on the forum though!

Return to “General Discussion”