Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Original Chest, Field, Modified

Mon Jul 09, 2007 13:37

I have seen a number of posts regarding the modified medical chest, but have yet to see any originals myself. Well, this past weekend I got to see one up close and personal. I had a medical display setup at a 60th Anniversary of the Air Force Air Show at Scott Air Force Base near O'Fallon, Illinois, US (I will post pictures of the display later). There was another medical display there and he had quite a nice setup. Sitting right out at the front of his display was an original Chest, Field, Modified. He did not have the drawers with it, but it was in great shape. Here are some reference photos for everyone if you are interested:

TM

Ben
Major
Major

Mon Jul 09, 2007 13:43

Excellent find indeed Todd, my sincere thanks for taking the time to share this with the board. I know that there was a guy on the forum who also had an original, complete with drawers.

This is just great, and will allow me to create the reproduction that I have once wanted. Out of interest, do you know what the large metal structure inside the Chest's lid is? It looks simply like the stowage for the upright supports on the tabletop, but if you could confirm this, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Jul 09, 2007 13:51

He told me they were litter stands. I am not sure that he knew how they worked really, but that is what he was told from the previous owner I believe. I didn't get to spend as much time talking to him as I would like. I had my display up and had some friends watching it for me. So, I did not want to leave them watching my stuff while I walked around the show for extended periods of time.

BTW, the owner of the chest is from another nearby reenacting unit and I am hoping to talk to him a little more and maybe get some dimensions from it in the future. (That will probably be a while though)
TM

Ben
Major
Major

Mon Jul 09, 2007 14:18

Of course! I recall what these are now. You will see the two metal "prongs" which stick out of the things. These insert into brackets on the chest, and allow a litter to be placed on the chest.

Thanks for finding these, and I should be able to get the dimensions by measuring my Chest, Field, Plain, Empty, and then scaling off the drawings. As soon as this is done, I will be sure to post the dimensions on the site.

Thanks for keeping us all in mind when spotting this one Todd,
Thanks and best regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Tue Jul 10, 2007 05:57

Holy Cow Todd!! That is a great help. My guesstimation wasn't actually too far off on the simulated pair of MD 1's I built, but now can go back and easily fine tune them! I really need to know how long that support rod / arm is. Mine is currently two pieces, but would like to mod it to a single rod as per the originals. The Litter stand bracket close up is priceless and these will be easily duplicated. Thanks again for posting the pics they are priceless!
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Jul 10, 2007 17:13