Twinky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Medical chest No.2 C.M.B?

Mon Jul 23, 2007 20:27

Ever since I first saw the famous color picture of the aid/pro station taken before d-day in "US ARMY photo album 1941 - 1945" I've been wondering about this. There's a crate on the floor behind the two medics, but it's unlike any type I've ever seen or read about before.
Is there anyone on this board who can shed a light on it?

Here's the same image as in the book. It's one a site packed with nice WWII (color) pictures.
http://historylink101.com/ww2_color/Wor ... T0400.html

Edit: I just added the image to the posting so that everyone can see the images that is being referred to.

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Tue Jul 24, 2007 04:33

I really think the box that is depicted is a British chest of some sort. The lettering and type red cross certainly make me think this. This suspicion is backed up by the fact there is a British (Shell Dressing Bag?) bag on the left side on the ground. Just a hunch, but I sure don't recognize this as a US MD type chest.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Jul 24, 2007 06:09

The chest handles are a US style like I have on my anesthesia chest - looks legit to me!
CMB Combat Medical Bn??? I personally like the "Pro Station" sign - we have a small trailer we occasionally set up 'after hours' as Pro Station #1 - always gets a few laughs from the vets, especially if a wife or girlfriend staffs it!
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:17

To be honest with you, I've always wondered whether or not the image is actually staged. Everything looks too convenient; the two signs, Pro Station and Aid Station, Dispensary, Litter. In my personal opinion, there is just too much happening in the photograph.

I am perhaps being very sceptical, but these are just my thoughts on the matter. This does not, however, answer the question as to what exactly the "C.M.B. Box" is. As Tenth says the handles seem to be almost identical to those found on Anesthesia Cases (mine is made Stanley - an American company). However, as Roger says:

docdean64 wrote:The lettering and type red cross certainly make me think this

I too have my suspicions that the box may be British, as by this time in the war, the Medical Department had already changed the standard insgnia for medical supplies from the Geneva Red Cross to the Caduceus (see Chest Article (New Window)), whereas the British continued to mark supplies with a Red Cross until long after the war.

I will do some digging and enquiring with some British Medical collectors that I know here in the UK, and see whether or not they can shed any light onto the mystery box.

Thanks for an interesting discussion,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Twinky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tue Jul 24, 2007 20:48

Well, to be honest I thought it was British at well at first. As the text on it looks a lot like the standard British type. But the handle is identical to the one on my medical chest. And going trough my books on British medical kit I can't seem to find any matches.
There is a picture of two wooden medical chests in "Red berets and red crosses" but those are both unpainted. All other British medical supply containers I have found thus far are of the wicker type containers.

On the other hand, I'm no expert on British kit, so it might be a common British chest just as well.

Return to “General Discussion”