Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

WWII Stock Numbers?

Thu Aug 02, 2007 02:20

To all,

I may be a complete moron and am totally missing something, but...

I am curious to know who the X-XXX stock numbers belong to. I realize that the X-XXXX numbers belong to the WWII Navy, but not sure about the previous style.

Thanks in advance!
TM

Ben
Major
Major

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:33

Hi There Todd,

There seems to be a little confusion regarding the dashes in item numbers, so I'll try and clear it up. Navy Item Number, during WW2 at least all took the form 4 numbers, separated by a hyphen between the first and second digit (i.e. #-###). After the war, for reference in 1947, the numbers between the Army and Navy items were standardised. Here's an image of a Navy item, and note the Item Number, 2-1304:

The items which are separated with a dash, and are six digits in length (i.e. #-#####) seem to be different manufacturers' methods of portraying item numbers. For example, I have a couple of items which bear the Item Number in the format #####-##. For example the following image shows the label found inside a Medical Bathrobe, and the official Item Number is 7171010, but as can be seen the manufacturer has added a dash for reasons known only to them.

I hope that clears up the quesions you had Todd, and if not, let me know. I would also be interested to see an image of the #-##### item, as I have never ever seen such a thing.

Thanks, and hope that helps,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “General Discussion”