Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ranger Helmet markings

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:16

HI

I'm looking for pictures of medical markings on the helmets of medics members of the second Ranger batallion.

Thanks for your help.

Alain
Major
Major

Ranger Medical Helmet Markings

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:57

Hi Target,
As far as I know, and as illustrated in various WW2 pictures and books, Rangers did not adorn their helmets with specific (and colourful) 'Geneva Convention Markings' . There might have been exceptions, but I am not aware of any period illustrations proving they did !
This also applied to other troops involved in the D-Day landings, such as Infantry and Airborne, though the Navy and Special Engineers did paint similar insignia on their steel helmets ... later on, medical personnel started introducing Geneva Convention symbols on helmets, after having ascertained that the enemy generally respected the non-combatant status of military and civilian protected personnel .
I hope above helps .
Regards,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:02

HI

Somebody told me the rangers medic had one Red cross in a circle in front of the helmet, but I didn't find any pictures of this and was pretty sure that this person refered to SPR

I did know that the B.R.O. medics had no markings but didn't know about rangers.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Regards

past
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Oct 19, 2007 18:14

Hi

I read that "geneva convention markings" popular was from July 1944. I did not found any photos from DDDAY when medics used helmets with markings. On DDAY they have only one brassard.
I'm sure haw was in 1ID. I'm not sure about the rest.
But could you go with your unit for "night patrol" - medic looks as a sniper target.

Return to “General Discussion”