past
Private First Class
Private First Class

Garrison Cap

Fri Oct 05, 2007 09:15

Hello

I have a question. Normal infantry has blue cord in cap. And regiment pin. How cord and pin has medical personel. I ask about combat medics who was in Rifle Company?

thanks

Alain
Major
Major

Garrison Cap

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:29

Hi,
My reply is as follows : Med Det personnel had the Maroon-White piping on the Garrison/Overseas Cap !
Should you need more info, may I suggest to consult our Article "History & Background Information to the US Army Medical Department" - Paragraph : Branch, Colours, and Guidons . It's all described in there . Best regards,
Alain
MRC Administrator

past
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:48

thanks

WS-G
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Garrison Cap

Fri Jan 25, 2019 16:03

Good reference, and Alain is quite correct. In the US Army, the branch-of-service insignia and associated colors of piping worn by a soldier are determined by the branch which trains that soldier in his specialty, not by the type of unit to which that soldier is assigned.

For example, my first unit was an independent company which was under an otherwise-inactive Infantry regiment. My original specialty however was radio operator, an MOS which was formally trained by the US Army Signal School but could be found in every type of unit the US Army had. While my parent unit was Co. G (Abn.), 143rd Infantry Regiment, I wore the branch-of-service insignia of the Signal Corps -- not the Infantry -- even though I never once held an assignment to a Signal unit. I did not have authorization to wear the blue cord and crossed musket insignia of the Infantry until I had been formally awarded that MOS at a later point.

Return to “General Discussion”