dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Medical Backpack

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:03

I'm wondering where I could find any more pictures concerning the packboard-style med backpack featured in the 'medical crates' section. Also looking for some sort of list of items which may be carried in the pack. I noticed the zippered inserts in the photo. Were they issued with the pack? How prevelant were these packs? I've read that they were on the rare side. Would they be used more by troops on the move from point A to point B and not so much by an aidman on patrol with his company? Thanks for any input!

Doc Hoovie

Ben
Major
Major

Thu Jan 10, 2008 17:47

Hi Doc,

There were actually two slight variations of the Medical Packboard Pack, one which was designed for use on the Yukon Packboard, and another designed for use with the later Plywood Packboard. I have examples of both in my collection, and if you would like to indicate which version you would like more photographs of, I will take the necessary shots for you.

The zipped interior containers are certainly rare. Indeed I have never seen such an example, either in a museum or for sale. As far as I'm aware, they were not issued with the kit, but were made available at QM stores and Medical Supply and Packing Depots. The Packs themselves were becoming more common towards the end of the war (mid-late 1944 and early 1945 [introduced 1943]), although they were never as widely used as the Medical Chest.

Since the Packs were designed to replace the heavier, more clumsy Medical Chest, they would have contained all of the contents of the Chest they were designed to replace (two Packs should replace one Chest), and as such were not designed to be used by the Aidman of a company, but rather the staff of a Battalion or Regimental Aid Station for the transportation of the Station's equipment.

I hope that will answer some of your questions, and kindly let me know whether or not you have any additional queries or comments.

Regards,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24

Hi Ben-

thanks for the information! That's what I was looking for. The only other pictures I'd need would be of the pack stocked with supplies. I'd seen one recently offered on Ebay which had a picture showing the zipped pouches inside. Were the pouches necessary to keep items from rolling around inside, or are there pockets or other such means inside to keep everything in place? How would one know which pack required which packboard? This is more out of curiosity- I don't have one of these yet, but would eventually like to acquire one. Thanks again!

Ben
Major
Major

Mon Jan 14, 2008 13:33

Hi Steve,

There are no internal pockets on the packs and so I suspect that this is why the zipped pouches were introduced. As far as I know this was the only method for securing items inside. The image below has been taken from the 1944 Medical Supply Catalog; as you can see the Pack uses a combination of the zipped pouches and the packing chest for a Gas Casualty Treatment Kit (Item # 9776700) to prevent items from rolling around inside the pack (the entire assemblage is referred to as 'Gas Casualty Set, M-2'):

The image below shows a comparison of the two types of Packboard Pack. The main difference between the two variants is that the Yukon Pack has a large loop made of broad webbing to secure it onto the wooden upright, whereas the Plywood Pack has a strap made of narrower webbing, using a buckle to secure it onto the board:

Hope that helps, and if you managed to save the images of the zipped components, I would be most interested in seeing them.

Regards,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25

Hi Ben-

Thanks for the further clarification. The picture I was referring to on the Ebay page was a drawing similar to the above ones, but different. And no, I didn't save them. I've got to get into the habit of doing that! Your information is greatly appreciated!

Ben
Major
Major

Fri Jan 18, 2008 14:20

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your comments, and glad I could help. Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Mar 02, 2008 08:32

Doc Dean posted a picture of a backpack attached to a pack board on a Yahoo Pacific Reenactor board back in 2005- this is the picture. The item is identified as "Unit 10". It bears a little resemblance to the pack mentioned in this thread, but clearly is not. Roger, or anybody, what type of pack is it and how and where was it used? Any info would be appreciated!

mutt71
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Mar 03, 2008 01:37

Guys, there is one on E-bay right now if anyone is interested:

eBay Link

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Wed Mar 05, 2008 03:04

The Unit 10 Pack depicted on the PTO reenactor (my son actually) is one of the US Navy versions of a soft medical pack. They are a "duffle bag" style design with a top opening that rolls down to keep out water /sand and are horrible for accessing anything without having to dump the whole pack. They were made to be worn ashore by Navy Medical Troops during Beach Assaults and then dumped to establish treatment / aid stations. Each type pack held various supplies as described by the "UNIT" and then a number to designate the contents. I think the "10"'s were Surgical Supplies just off the top of my head. Some of these packs were altered and mounted to a packboard as shown, while others had a medics yoke sewn to them and were carried that way. I think the Unit's with the heavier items were hauled via packboard. I have examples of both if interested.

In regard to the ARMY style soft medical supply packs I know that some units built simple light wooden boxes (wood was very thin like cigar box weight) that fit inside the packs and that is how they organized / contained the supplies. I saw a med pack, wooden box insert, pack board and spoiled contents many years ago when I did German. Sadly I paid it only passing attention as it was not my collecting genre. I could just kick myself for walking on by without a close study now!! That whole set came from an US Army medical unit that served in the PTO, or so it was marked.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Mar 05, 2008 16:05

docdean64 wrote:The Unit 10 Pack depicted on the PTO reenactor (my son actually) is one of the US Navy versions of a soft medical pack. They are a "duffle bag" style design with a top opening that rolls down to keep out water /sand and are horrible for accessing anything without having to dump the whole pack. They were made to be worn ashore by Navy Medical Troops during Beach Assaults and then dumped to establish treatment / aid stations. Each type pack held various supplies as described by the "UNIT" and then a number to designate the contents. I think the "10"'s were Surgical Supplies just off the top of my head. Some of these packs were altered and mounted to a packboard as shown, while others had a medics yoke sewn to them and were carried that way. I think the Unit's with the heavier items were hauled via packboard. I have examples of both if interested.

In regard to the ARMY style soft medical supply packs I know that some units built simple light wooden boxes (wood was very thin like cigar box weight) that fit inside the packs and that is how they organized / contained the supplies. I saw a med pack, wooden box insert, pack board and spoiled contents many years ago when I did German. Sadly I paid it only passing attention as it was not my collecting genre. I could just kick myself for walking on by without a close study now!! That whole set came from an US Army medical unit that served in the PTO, or so it was marked.

Great info there docdean64 many thanks for posting it.

I'll have to keep a look out for one, how rare are the USN versions?

I would love a S14 Paratroop First Aid Pouch but collecting hens teeth is probably easier than finding one of those :cry:

Thanks again

Martyn

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Thu Mar 06, 2008 02:58

Ah Yes the S-14 ! Holy Grail of all med pouches. I too wish I had one and almost had a repro from a guy a few years ago who made flawless repros of specialized gear, but he never followed through. Your certainly welcome for the info Martyn. I'm thinking about auctioning off a rather extensive lot of Naval Medical Chests and related USN items on eBay in the near future. I'll give you guys he heads up when I do. They are fairly heavy items though so shipping may be a real issue if they go very far.

The Navy Beach Assault Packs surface (pun intended) now and again. Depending on condition they can command a very high price, as much as $2-300 primarily because they are just so scarce. The cheapest decent one I saw was about $75. I suspect all things Navy Medical will skyrocket after the release of the PTO version of "Band of Brothers" in the near future. At least I hope, I have a kid in College!
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted

1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Mar 06, 2008 09:34

docdean64 wrote:Ah Yes the S-14 ! Holy Grail of all med pouches. I too wish I had one and almost had a repro from a guy a few years ago who made flawless repros of specialized gear, but he never followed through. Your certainly welcome for the info Martyn. I'm thinking about auctioning off a rather extensive lot of Naval Medical Chests and related USN items on eBay in the near future. I'll give you guys he heads up when I do. They are fairly heavy items though so shipping may be a real issue if they go very far.

The Navy Beach Assault Packs surface (pun intended) now and again. Depending on condition they can command a very high price, as much as $2-300 primarily because they are just so scarce. The cheapest decent one I saw was about $75. I suspect all things Navy Medical will skyrocket after the release of the PTO version of "Band of Brothers" in the near future. At least I hope, I have a kid in College!

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Navy Beach Assault Packs, I shall keep my eyes open. Will be very interested to hear about the USN items you will eventually be parting with. :wink:

I would love to get a repro of the S14, perhaps after the latest Dragon model Corpsman comes on the market someone will make a few. :D

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index. ... s_id=42812

Cheers

Martyn

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33

Thanks Doc Dean for the info!

Return to “General Discussion”