sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

litter support bracket 9779000

Thu Apr 17, 2008 08:16

Anyone have information, drawings, measurements, detailed photos of the litter support bracket 9779000 as issued with the chest field modified?

Thanks,
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Ben
Major
Major

Thu Apr 17, 2008 14:39

Hi Peter,

I have been trying to reproduce these for some years now, and have managed to amass a collection of detailed photographs; many of which have been courtesy of members of this forum, and readers of our website. Here are the most useful and detailed ones, and I would recommend that you try and scale the sizes based on your Chest, Field, Modified:

Thanks,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 18, 2008 05:20

Man, those things look like they will be hard to reproduce. They look extruded rather than rolled. I don't think you can simply bend the ends of U channel as that would weaken the radiuses (radii??) - although it bends away from the ears of the U. Do the vertical supports look like they fit exactly within the U channel?

The spacing between the vertical supports must be the depth of the chest so about 17 9/16". Based on the sockets on my field chest, the vertical supports must be about 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick.

There are a couple metal working and supply companies around here, I need to see what they can do

(Sorry my tape measure still does imperical :roll: )
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 18, 2008 05:26

:idea: Ben - You also wanted me to remind you to post photos and dimensions for chest field modified drawers.

Thanks,
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

Ben
Major
Major

Mon May 12, 2008 00:08

Hi Peter,

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. I will post up some pictures for the drawers, but unfortunately I do not have accurate sizes / dimensions for them. I am confident however that should you be able to measure a regular Chest, Field, Plain; that you should be able to calculate the size of the drawers (since both the Chest, Field Plain and the Chest, Field, Modified were identical in exterior dimensions / appearance).

Thanks,
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

Ben
Major
Major

Mon May 12, 2008 12:15

Hi Peter,

As promised here are three illustrations showing the drawers used in the MD # 1 Chest. These were received from another medical collector and unfortunately I do not have detailed sizes or construction details about them. I hope that they will be of some use to you, though:

Thanks,
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Re: litter support bracket 9779000

Mon Oct 10, 2016 01:22

Has anyone gotten accurate dimensions on these yet?
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Mon Oct 10, 2016 06:35

I'm still searching as well David. I finally picked up an original chest, but it was missing everything in the lid and the drawers (trays).
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Sun Oct 16, 2016 20:47

SUPPORT BRACKETS:

Looking at the sprayed outline in the lid of my chest, and based on a mangled portion of one I was able to borrow, I think these could be made from 3/4" wide x 1/4" deep u-channel in mild steel, about 1/8" thick. A 24" piece could be bent 1" in from each end at a 45 degree angle - leaving 22" between the bends. This matches within 1/4" to my WWII litter handle spacing.

The tabs appear to be 1/8" x 1/2" mild steel stock about 2' long, bent at a 90 degree angle 1/2" from the end. They were welded to the u-channel (although a steel rivet might work as well) . I'd suggest installing them to match the spacing on your chest so you know they will fit.

I'm going to try to fabricate some this week & will post here (if I am successful.). I have to do an exhibit for a local Army medical unit in 2 weeks, and would like to have these to use.
David J. Little

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Sun Oct 16, 2016 21:08

DRAWER 1 & 2

For the drawers, to fit my Chest 1 (modified) the drawers need to be built out of 1/2" BC plywood 16" wide, 12 1/2" tall and 10" deep. (16"x12.5"x10") There should be 3 holes drilled in the front and rear for fingers. 1" diameter holes, spaced 2" apart on center (leaving 1" of wood between the holes) and 1.5" down (center of the hole) from the top edge. The edges of the holes and the top of the drawers were rounded - 1/4" rounding bit should work to do this quite nicely.

I have seen some with some kind of pull tab in leather or canvas to pull the drawer out, but I think the drilled holes are probably the most common on WWII production chests.

Most seem to be reinforced on the exposed corners with some kind of sheet metal angle down each of the side corners. The metal stops 1/4" below the edges, and the one example I have examined had NO reinforcements on the bottom or top edges.

The example I examined was well worn, and shows signs of a 1/2" stencil (painted over) on the face saying "DRAWER No. 2", although most photos look like simple stencils with just a "1" or "2" stencil. Not sure which is right - probably depends who made the chest and if it was rebuild in service.
David J. Little

Return to “General Discussion”