martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

War and Peace Show, Beltring finds part 1

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:54

The Belgian guy who sold me the towel was selling several other WW2 medical items which he told me had come from the same Hospital that was being renovated in Belgium. He told me that a friend of his heard that there was a stack of WW2 medic items in the building that was about to be demolished and took his van there to collect as much as he could. He filled his van and on returning the next day for more found the bulldozers had destroyed everything :evil:

I purchased these from him also

Various syringes 2cc, 5cc and 10cc all marked PROPERTY OF THE US

This is a WW1 Belgian Red Cross armband reissued in WW2 to US personnel and restamped

Alain
Major
Major

Beltring Finds

Wed Jul 23, 2008 15:20

Hi Martyn,
Congratulations with your recent purchases ! Great items !
I think I must have met the 'Belgian' seller you met at Beltring . This was at a small militaria show in Belgium, July 5 .
Unfortunately he brought along some Syringes + Armbands . He told me he had made a bid at an auction run by a local civilian hospital around in Brussels (that will be renovated, they were getting rid of old stocks), and won it . He only told me about the syringes, and said there were some odd items too, including the armbands . He at first desperately tried selling me some armbands, but I told him they weren't the regular US type, then he came up with a story (sounds familiar to you ?) that stocks were taken over by the US Army and appropriately stamped ... for use by the US Med Dept !? But, what about the other numbers ? Did you measure the stamps, are they inches or millimeters ? Just keep us posted ... Thks
Alain :roll:
MRC Administrator

martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Jul 23, 2008 16:31

Hi Alain

Sounds very much like the same guy

The stamp measures 3 1/4 inches by 1 1/4 inches

I'd be very interested in what you can find out.

Cheers

Martyn

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Fri Jul 25, 2008 05:20

None of the "M" issuing numbers on the rverse of this brassard also give it a fishy taint! Interesting armband though, and some of the early US brassards did utilize the claw hook type fastener, but the band was not tapered like this example.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Jul 25, 2008 09:19

Hi Doc and Alain

Thanks for your input reference the armband, I have attached a couple of scans of the front and rear.

The guy who sold it had at least 50 others all with different serial numbers.

Cheers

Martyn

Alain
Major
Major

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:47

Hi Martyn,
Thanks for your private message - I contacted the Belgian vendor and got his son on the line (parents absent) . I left a message indicating who I was, and that I was interested in some extra items (sold at Beltring), and proposed to meet at one of the forthcoming small militaria fairs . In the end, he never showed up, and did not contact me . My guess is, either he wasn't interested, or he must have sold everything since then ...
Thanks for sharing the info .
Best regards,
Alain :?:
MRC Administrator

martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Aug 08, 2008 13:58

Hi Alain

Thanks for the update about the Seller at Beltring, I shall keep a look out for him at the main UK Shows I will be attending and keep you posted regarding any other items he has for sale.

Cheers

Martyn

martyn
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09

This is on Ebay USA, looks the same as the ones on sale at Beltring.

eBay Link

Cheers

Martyn

Alain
Major
Major

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:52

Hi Martyn
Thanks for sharing this eBay item !
I for sure would never buy it - too many question marks ...

Btw, the Belgian seller wasn't at the usual Militaria Fair early August - I wonder whether he'll show up this coming Saturday, 6 September .
Regards,
Alain :?:
MRC Administrator

Return to “General Discussion”