ryanluke
Private

17th General in Naples/ Convalescing in Naples.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 04:14

Hello there, this is my first post on this fantastic site, so hello to you all, and congratulations to the creators for an amazing resource.

I am looking for information on the 17th General Hospital whilst in Naples (Carderelli Hospital). Photographs (especially of convalescent wards and outside grounds), department layout at the Carderelli, 1st peron accounts etc.

My aim is to create a mental image of a patient being
1) admitted for trauma OUT of combat (a fall for example),
2) first off triage (Emergency Rooms at Generals?),
3) referal for x-rays, then orthapaedics,
4) physical therapy and rehab/convalescing for a couple of months for muscular leg injury.

ESPECIALLY interested in the rehabilitation/convalescent wards/department at the Carderelli, as this would be the longest phase of such a patient's experience. Photos of the wards would be amazing! And the surrounding grounds.

All info welcome for rich detail: First person accounts are great. Dcotors names, nurses, what the food was like! Anything that comes to mind about this hospital in Naples!

Would also be interested in info on similar Generals in Naples that were established between fall '43 and Feb '44, if anything comes to mind.

I do apologise for the tall request! But nothing ventured nothing gained, and we all know what a big place the internet is!

All the best.

:)

R.L.
Last edited by ryanluke on Wed Aug 20, 2008 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

Ben
Major
Major

Mon Aug 18, 2008 15:44

Ryan,

Firstly, allow me to welcome you to our Forums. I hope that you will be able to find some more information about the 17th General Hospital here. I have scoured my resources for some images of the unit that you mention, but unfortunately, there does not seem to be many photographs of the unit's time in Naples at all. I was able to find only two photographs, which are shown below, along with their accompanying caption:

Members of the 17th General Hospital stand in front of their building in Naples, Italy. From L to R: Col. Karstens, M.C. (C.O.); Maj. Douglas Donald, M.C.; Lt. Col. Roe, M.C., 17 Feb. 1944.

The Hospital Dietitian of the 17th General Hospital checks the planned diet while another weighs the necessary food. November, 1943.

I hope that the above will be of use to you, and I will continue to search for further information. May I take this opportunity to ask as to why you're looking for photographs of this particular unit?

Thanks,
Ben 8)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

ryanluke
Private

Wed Aug 20, 2008 06:05

Great! :D Thank you for these photos, they're fantastic.

Ben -I am also sending you a private message as well as this post.

I've honed down my research, so if anyone can cover the following?:

More photos of the Carderelli! And -

a) Does anyone know what convalescent units served the 17th in Naples - OR if indeed patients undertook rehab and recovery with the 17th at the Carderelli? Any material if seperate convalescent units?

b) If not, convalescent units in Naples (ComZ) full stop, established by March '44? PREFERABLY ones that were established in buildings existing at that time (as opposed to tented camps). - Any material pertaining to these, especially photos.

c) First person patient accounts of convalescing (at any hospital in ww2)

d) Anything else you can think of!

Thank you! :D

ryanluke
Private

Wed Aug 20, 2008 20:58

* Please refer to above post - I have now established that the Cardarelli (The home of the 17th in Naples), was in fact named The 23 Marzo (official name) or The Nuovo Ospedale Moderno di Napoli until after the war when it was renamed The Cardarelli which it remains today. Apologies if I have caused any confusion*

Return to “General Discussion”