Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

NCO Medic

Thu Jan 04, 2007 03:29

To all,

I have a few questions regarding the NCO medic vs. a PVT or PFC medic. Would the NCO medic be found in the field as a combat medic? What was the actual role of the NCO medic besides as a non-com leader? Where was the NCO medic typically found?

I ask because I would like to put together the most accurate kit possible for my unit. We portray a Heavy Weapons company, 84th ID, 334th IR, Co. H. The 84th landed on Omaha beach in November of '44 and participated in the taking of Geilenkirchen, the Bulge, crossing the Roer, etc. Their medical attachment was the 309th Medical Battalion of which I have been able to find little if any information on (with the exception of about six pics). I like the NCO impression not for its "leadership" implications but due to the fact that they have a rather diverse kit. Or, my assumption would be, a private's kit would be the most likely scenario/impression for my unit.

Comments, help, suggestions?

Thanks!
TM

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:19

Yes, there was a difference in the NCO vs. Enlisted Medics. The basic PFC medics were generally aidmen with very basic medical training and skills. They handled things like basic first aid, litter carry, ambulance staffing and basic hospital duties. Men who showed greater promise in basic medic school were selected to attend advanced training as surgical technicians, and other specialties such as XRay, Lab, Pharmacy. Some men who had been Registered Nurses (yes even in the 40's there were male RN's) were generally made NCO's as they were not commissioned like their female counterparts in the ANC. That would not happen until way after the war ended. NCO's were also Ward Masters which meant that they were in charge of the non coms on hospital wards of field hospitals. NCO's were also in charge of smaller medical detachments without a medical officer normally assigned like some aid stations and ALPs. The NCO by virtue of training and experience would generally have a much more diverse medical background , either from military service, civilian or a combo of both.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Jan 04, 2007 20:36

Thanks docdean for the explanation. I assumed something generally similar to your details above.

It sounds as though the most likely kit to put together for a leg/combat medic moving with the line would be a PFC type kit.

Thanks again!
TM

Ben
Major
Major

Thu Jan 04, 2007 21:02

Roger,

My sincerest thanks too for covering this one mate, with a very comprehensive answer.

Many thanks again Doc,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Fri Jan 05, 2007 05:29

No problem fellas. Todd, it depends on what you what you want to do. If you are representing the typical leg medic up on the line, then yes the PFC, T-5 rank medic would be you. If you were an NCO the most likely place you'd be would be at an aid station. I'm 42y.o. and have a paramedicine background (both civilian & military) and feel like I most accurately portray the Rank of Tech. Sgt, hence I wear T-3 stripes and assume those duties, Plus that was my military Rank (E-6). I think I might look goofy at 42 as a PFC! The AMMED book that covers selection and training of medical personnel covers some of this.
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted

1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Return to “General Discussion”