Bob M

US WWII Medic Bag question

Sat Nov 22, 2008 13:41

A friend of mine has bought this medic bag, but wants to know if this one is original WW2 made. Normally these bags have the khaki OD3 color, but this one seems to be rather different. It's not OD7, but somewhere between the OD3 and OD7. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bob

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Nov 22, 2008 19:06

Hi Bob,

I have a similar (single) bag in my collection, and I can confirm that these are in fact contemporary pieces. This variation of colour is certainly not as common as the OD#3 variants which can be found. Some might claim that their colour is indicative of a late war (i.e. late '44 - early '45) piece, however I have an M2 Bag (introduced sometime between 1944 and 1947) which replaced the version you pictured, and it has been produced in the standard OD#3 canvas.

I surmise that the variation was either caused by a manufacturing variant or error. Interestingly, these are the only medical canvas items that seem to have been produced in this colour. I have never seen any Inserts, either Type I or Type II which use the same coloured canvas.

Thanks for your post,
Ben ;)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Bob M

Sat Nov 22, 2008 19:34

Ben,

Thanks for your reply. As I read your post correctly, you are saying that this bag is post WW2 made? Is it a reproduction made, or modernly army issue?

(contemporary means modern made, right?)
Regards,
Bob

tractor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sat Nov 22, 2008 21:48

It is not a reproduction one way to tell on repros is that hook on your loop is there no repros have that hook. The bag is WW2 or slightly after Bob

Alain
Major
Major

Kit Component Pouch Item 9708500

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:00

Hi Guys,
Ben is correct - for those who are unfamiliar with the English term 'contemporary' just means it belongs to the same period of time > so it IS a WW2 item !
There is NOTHING wrong with its color - different OLIVE DRAB shades did appear from time to time .
I hope this solves the problem, for Kevin too .

P.S. Kevin, dit is WEL degelijk een WW2 item - wat jij beschrijft met 2 verschillende kleuren wordt vaak een 'intermediate' model genoemd

Alain S. BATENS :D
MRC Administrator

Kevin
Private

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:07

Thank you very much Alain :mrgreen: !

Kevin

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Nov 23, 2008 13:10

Alan,
Many thanks for clearing up the confusion here, and I am glad that we have been able to resolve the issues.
Regards,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Bob M

Sun Nov 23, 2008 13:30

Ben wrote:Alan,
Many thanks for clearing up the confusion here, and I am glad that we have been able to resolve the issues.
Regards,
Ben :)

I couldn't agree more! :D Many thanks for the help this forum has provided!

Does anyone of you have a originel US WWII Medical Red Cross flag for sale? Searching for one for ages :cry:

Bob

Alain
Major
Major

Ambulance Flag/Marker

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:18

Hi Bob,
Further to your query . I'm planning to have a limited number of Ambulance Flags/Markers reproduced . They will be based on an 'original' in my collection - i.e. rectangular white field + red cross symbols on either side, and two leather tabs (for fixing to pole) .

As soon as this project comes through - an announcement will be made .
Best regards ,
Alain S. Batens 8)
MRC Administrator

tractor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48

Bob M

Re: Ambulance Flag/Marker

Mon Nov 24, 2008 18:40

Alain wrote:Hi Bob,
Further to your query . I'm planning to have a limited number of Ambulance Flags/Markers reproduced . They will be based on an 'original' in my collection - i.e. rectangular white field + red cross symbols on either side, and two leather tabs (for fixing to pole) .

As soon as this project comes through - an announcement will be made .
Best regards ,
Alain S. Batens 8)

Thanks for the offer, but as a US WWII collector I'm interested in original items only. :D

Bob

Alain
Major
Major

Mon Nov 24, 2008 23:53

Bob,
I assumed you were a collector + re-enactor .
Thanks for posting the address of "Allied Workshops" - I know these guys, and have purchased some of their items in the past - while some of their basic selling prices may be +/- reasonable, they charge horrendous S & H for overseas !
Furthermore some of their proposed items are erroneous !

Btw, I saw the re-enactment video shot on the West Coast - thanks for sharing .

Alain :)
MRC Administrator

tractor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tue Nov 25, 2008 00:22

I got that flag for my ambulance when I take it to car shows and events. I hoping to get my ambulance done for our next one but a wiring harness is keeping me from finishing it off. If anyone is looking for an ambulance project I have one. I heard it would cost roughly 1500 US to ship to Europe. http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f? ... cfb1c874b7 It is this model .

Return to “General Discussion”