sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Mont Castre France evacuation

Sat Jan 03, 2009 00:23

In July 1944, the 90th Division was battling for a hill called Mont Castre. During the 4-5 day long battle, the infantry regiments suffered 50-75% casualties.

Does anyone know or can guess what the evacuation route would have been from Mont Castre? I'm looking specifically for the various clearing stations and field hospitals the wounded would have gone thru.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Jan 03, 2009 13:22

Hi Peter,
Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of information relating to the 90th "Tough 'Ombres" Infantry Division, however, I will try and find out which Medical units were in the location, and which were supporting to the 90th during the Operation (315th Medical Battalion).
Thanks,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sat Jan 03, 2009 15:03

Thanks Ben.

Do you know how much documentation exists from the various medical units for tracking patients? I'm trying to track down a veteran of the 358th. I found some of the Company daily reports but am looking for what happened to him after evac. He joined the 358th 9 Jul and was wounded 13 Jul. I got that from the Company reports. Officially he is listed as KIA 2 Feb 45 in Luxembourg. I'm curious what happened between those dates.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Jan 04, 2009 16:19

Peter,

The information that you're trying to locate would typically have been kept on a Soldier's Field Medical Card (Medical Dept. Form No. 52c). Unlike the Emergency Medical Tag, this was not a duplicate document, and only the original existed. I have not seen any of these having been copied in official unit histories, and the only ones which I have seen completed have been in Veterans' collections.

If you have the soldier's ASN and full name, it might be advisable for you to try and use the NARA website to research his service, which might give some idea of where he served between the dates that you already know. The following link might be of use to you:
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/milita ... ublic.html

Unfortunately, since the 1973 fire, it has often proved difficult for me to obtain any detailed information about a Vet's service without close contact with them, or their family. I wonder whether it would be possible for you to perform some genealogy research to highlight any relatives ?

Thanks, and good luck!
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “General Discussion”