skoyen89
Corporal
Corporal

Maginot - Niel Medical Staging Area, Verdun

Sun Jan 04, 2009 20:55

I am trying to find more details of this place which I have come across a couple of times in the records of US Miltary hospitals from late 1944 and 1945. It seems it was in Verdun (or the Verdun area). There was a 'Maginot Caserne' in Verdun which was used by the US Army in the 50s so it could have been that it was taken over in late 1944 and used. It was made up of three or four storey blocks around a square and still exists.

In the reports of the 279th other references, which are probably referring to the same place, include:
Kent Camp, Verdun?
'Eagle Main' Medical Staging Area, Verdun - this seems to have been a reference to one of three main headquarters of the 12th Army Group - Eagle Main, Eagle Rear and Eacle Tac or Tactical (so the advanced HQ element).

Does anyone have references and/or descriptions of any of these places?

Thanks
Tony
Researching US General and Station Hospitals in UK, France and Belgium 1942-6

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Jan 17, 2009 00:08

Hi Tony,

I have been searching for information about the Caserne for a while, but unfortunately haven't been able to find any additional information. As you have indicated, it would seem that the complex was known as the Eagle Main Staging Area, but again little information has been found.

I'll continue to search for more information.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “General Discussion”