skoyen89
Corporal
Corporal

105th Evac Hospital Testimony

Mon Jan 19, 2009 18:56

Dear Ben

You mention 'Camp C5' in the narrative and ask whether it was in Winchester. Camp C5 was one of the marshalling camps around Southampton (Area C) and was Bushfield Camp, just south of Winchester. It was a British Army camp with permanent buildings and lasted into post-war. It was farmland with a couple of buildings standing when I visited a couple of years ago but there was talk about turning it into a 'Park and Ride' car park. A number of medical units passed through it, staying a day or two, with few favourable comments!!

Regards
Tony
Researching US General and Station Hospitals in UK, France and Belgium 1942-6

Alain
Major
Major

Mon Jan 19, 2009 23:33

Hi Tony,
Appreciate your comments and clarification ! I concluded from the data received from the Vet's son and the information contained in the 105th EH Unit History, that the C-5 Camp, was somewhere in the vicinity of Winchester , hence my remark !
I will ask Ben to amend the texts to reflect the more precise location .
Thanks for helping mate !
Best regards ,
Alain S. Batens :wink:
MRC Administrator

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Jan 20, 2009 05:51

Alain, Camp C-5 near Winchester was where the 203rd General Hospital unit was brought on July 13, 1944, from which they departed for Southampton on the 20th, by truck. At Camp C-5, they were issued Red Cross brassards,gas masks, delousing powder, French occupation money, and sea sickness and water purification pills.

I have some pictures of a Black Watch group parading there, and I think Ben may have additional pictures of troops there waiting for departure.

The attached picture taken at Camp C-5 was provided by Vince Stout, whose father brought it home. He was Gordon E.Stout, a Tec 5 and clerk typist with the 203rd.
Attachments
203rd Vince Stout's pipers.JPG

Alain
Major
Major

Tue Jan 20, 2009 13:21

Dear Lois,
Thanks for adding the extra information ! Great to know, you're following up what takes place on our Forum - this really is nice to know .
My very best regards ,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Jan 20, 2009 22:16

Dear Tony, Dear Lois,
Many thanks for your help identifying the precise location of Camp C-5. We have now been able to amend the Testimony, and everything should now be in order.
Thank you once again,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “General Discussion”