Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

FCDA Stretcher

Mon Jan 15, 2007 18:21

Recently, I purchased a post war stretcher (unissued) that is very close to, if not nearly identical to, a WWII stretcher. I plan on using this at battles, tacticals, etc. The only problem is that there is a large marking, "FCDA", on the underside of the stretcher. FCDA is an acronym for "Federal Civil Defense Administration." My question is this...

Would you worry about removing the marking? If so, best suggestions for removal? Would you paint a US MED symbol over it? If so, what was a likely diameter of the US MED symbol? Or, would you just leave it alone?

I have an idea of what I would like to do, but I am curious to what others would do in this situation.

Thanks!
TM

Ben
Major
Major

Mon Jan 15, 2007 18:48

Firetoad,

I honestly don't know what to suggest on this one. My personal view would be to remove the FCDA markings, and try and paint on a Caduceus symbol using fabric paint. Depending upon the size and location of the FCDA markings, it may not be necessary to remove them...perhaps you could hide it using a Med Dept logo and text.

There is currently an article being written about the WWII litter, its variants and markings, and I hope to have it posted up in the next couple of days. This should cover part of your question.

I hope that helps,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Mon Jan 15, 2007 22:48

I have sucessfully painted over the FCDA markings on a litter or two over the years. It works well and sure looks better than the Civil Defence stuff. I used textile paint (from Walmart) and made the white disc the diameter of the offending FCDA and then applied a caduces attop that the disc. Easy and looks fine.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Feb 12, 2007 03:07

I just wanted to show everyone what I came up with to mask the FCDA billboard on my stretcher. The FCDA stamp was nearly 13-1/2" across! So, I hit it with a gum eraser and really cut it back that way. In turn, decided to add a MED logo along with a little extra touch. (I reenact with the 84th ID and it's Medical Bn was the 309th.) I know it may not be 100% accurate, but I needed just a little more besides the small MED logo to help hide the remnants of the FCDA logo. I think it is perfect for reenactments.

TM

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Sat Feb 17, 2007 02:27

I think it looks great and sure as hell beats that FCDA logo!!! Is that one of Larsens stencils?
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Feb 17, 2007 03:08

Thanks for the compliment!

The stencil is actually a "Ben-Special". That is, I snagged the logo Ben posted here: http://www.med-dept.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10, printed it out, cut it by hand, used some aerosol elmers and painted away! The "309 M BN D" was just something I made up, printed out using the free Browning font and painted it up.
TM

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Sat Feb 17, 2007 16:16

Okay, just checking. I have seen the "Larsen" stencil and wasn't that pleased with it. Something at the top of the staff is off and was going to give it a second look if that was the one you used as it sure would be easier than hand cut. Thanks!
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Return to “General Discussion”