Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Item Identification

Tue Jan 30, 2007 17:30

Hi everybody

I bought this there's 3 months ago.

A friend of mine found two of these and sold one to me.

Here is what is written on the top of the bag.

bag, medical, instr &
supply set, empty.
size 12 x 9 X 10
Trenton textile Eng
& m?? co

Inside, the bag is dated Jan 44

Somebody know for what was used this bag ?
Which kind of unit ? Medical detachment, battalion ? Field hospital ?
I didn't find it in my medical supply catalog.

Thanks a lot.

Alain
Major
Major

Wed Jan 31, 2007 20:42

Hi,
The illustrated Item is one of the 5 Special Purpose Waterproof Bags issued by the QMC and initially used to protect Signal Corps Equipment against rain, spray, and immersion during Amphibious Operations - the one described has following official designation: Bag, Waterproof, Special Purpose, Stock No. 24-B-1263-500 and has following dimensions 12 in long, 9 in wide, and 18 in high. It is obvious that the described item was used for other types of equipment too (?) which states Bag, Medical, Instr & Supply Set, Empty, Size 12 x 9 x 18, Trenton Textiles Eng & Mfg Co - I can only say, that I've never seen this designation before, and I am unfortunately not able to tell you what sort of equipment was packed in this Bag ...
Alain :o

Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thu Feb 01, 2007 09:42

Thanks still for your answer.

Maybe you know the meaning of the yellow point on the front ?

Kind regards.

Alain
Major
Major

Fri Feb 02, 2007 20:26

Hi Target,
The Bags, Waterproof, Special Purpose usually had a rectangular strip or a circular dot, of ORANGE or RED phosphorescent paint - to help locate the bags at night, or in the dark .
I hope the above helps .
Regards,
Alain

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Sat Feb 03, 2007 16:56

Your bag is a specialized item for amphibious operations. These were commonly used in the ETO & PTO amphibious landings after the African invasion where many hard lessons were learned by the Medical Corps. Upon landing in Africa many landing craft were destroyed or swamped and two things took place, first material was ruined and unable to be used, secondly entire LC's were destroyed that contained all the components of essential activities such as field surgical capability. As a result the next landings that would occur employed such precautions as the rubberized bag like you have. This not only protected the contents from water, but liquid chemical warfare agents as there was great concerned these may be employed at Normandy. As a result the initial assault waves would carry these rubberized equipment bags to keep the contents usable.

As to the colored dot, these were used as a visual cue aid in location and sorting for transport. A colored dot code was used to break up equipment loads so if the transporting element was destroyed not all of the equipment essential to that function was lost. In other words all your eggs weren't in one basket! I recently left the US Navy Reserves as a Corpsman attached to Marines. Much of our field gear was encased in the modern equivalent of this bag (they looked very much the same). We still use the colored dot system and still distribute the loads to enhance survivability during landings & transport.

Your particular case although of 1944 Mfg. probably saw use in the Vietnam era with a medical unit as the stenciled contents nomenclature" bag, medical, instr & supply set, empty"is of that era into current times. Odd that is is missing the 6515-**-**** modern stock number identifiers, which is good for you as that would be a give away to current usage if you were to display it. The rest of the stenciling you can get away with!

Great find!
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Target
Private First Class
Private First Class