PhM3 Bowers
Private

Re: Myths about WWII Medicine, Medics, etc

Sun Sep 12, 2010 17:13

Okay, you all have taken my comments way out of context and you can't seem to read what I've posted. I have never claimed medics in the ETO were armed on a large scale. I showed evidence of two regiments in one division. It wasn't a broad statement of medics, the ETO, paratrooper medics, or even paratrooper medics in the ETO. I'm solely showing it being done in the 505th and 508th. I happen to portray 505th so it works for me. I showed documentation from two vets who ACTUALLY WERE THERE. It had nothing to do weapons being acquired so stop talking about it like it is. The weapons were distributed to the medics on the tarmac before boarding the planes for Salerno. That comes from an actual medic who again...WAS THERE. That's more than good enough for me and if it doesn't pertain to your impression I don't see why you'd really care. I just wanted to clear up this debacle about medics NEVER being issued weapons but my evidence isn't good enough for you all so I'm just going to leave it alone. You all "win."

Ben
Major
Major

Re: Myths about WWII Medicine, Medics, etc

Sun Sep 12, 2010 21:59

Justin,
I think that you've probably taken some of the previous posts a little personally. No-one is denying the fact that the medics you have interviewed received M1911 Pistols at one time or another, but as has been pointed out it was certainly the exception and NOT the norm.
Also, as to your comment "if it doesn't pertain to your impression I don't see why you'd really care" - please remember where you are. This is a Forum for the research of the entire US Army Medical Department during WW2. We have no preference for the unit to be researched, so all areas are of interest, and this should explain why "we'd really care"...
I hope that clears everything up, and as far as I can tell from the thread, none of the posts have ever denied a medics carried a weapon...
Thanks,
Ben Major (MRC Administrator)
ben@med-dept.com
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “General Discussion”