littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

FIG

Tue Dec 30, 2008 01:57

Just curious if anyone on this list will be attending the "Battle of the Bulge" at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA in January?
Sincerely,
-Lisa

doc ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon Feb 16, 2009 15:58

DISCLAIMER...this is my own personal opinion on FIG.

Lisa:

Aside from going up there to buy stuff at the flea market individually, my unit no longer attends FIG. I'm not posting anything to dissuade fellow medical re-enactors from attending, but here is my unit's reason for saying "NO" to FIG:

At the 2006 and 2007 "Friday shoot-em ups", German re-enactors perpetrated two MAJOR firearm safety violations against members of our unit. One involved the discharging of a pistol inches from a unit member's ear (he was "hit", prone on the ground, and the German was "executing" him when this happened). The other one in 2006 -- and I have little information as to what actually happened -- caused our unit member involved to quit the hobby.

We now attend a smaller, invitation-only tactical in December every year instead of going to the Gap as a unit.

To anyone entering the WWII medical re-enacting hobby: FIG is a great place to meet like-minded people and get stuff for your kit (sometimes dirt-cheap, if you look hard enough). Also, there's a guy that attends that sells original WWII, Korea, and Vietnam medical gear (Kevin Molinaro) -- he's a great guy and will help you get everything you need to fill out your medic impression. I was able to "stock up" from him every time I went up there, and got some great deals on rare stuff like original WWII plasma bottles and a wooden folding litter. He sells on eBay as well. I'd personally avoid the tacticals (esp. if you portray a medic). It's all "run and gun". By the time you've dug a foxhole, the entire thing is over with and people are heading back to get chow and get drunk.

littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Feb 23, 2009 02:19

Hi Doc,
I usually go up and help a friend vend, this year was the first time I went as a participant. I found it to be an all out party (not my scene) and that was pretty much it. They cancelled all the tacticals except one on Saturday, which really did not pertain to me, as a nurse, I did not take the field. I did however, meet many wonderful ladies involved in the hobby. I am part of the planning committee for the D Day Conneaut event in Ohio, I would hope that maybe your unit would consider attending this event, as it is our 10 year anniversary. I have attended the event every year it has occured as either a participant or spectator. In 2005 I was invited to join the planning committee and was the senior event coordinator in 06-07. I chose not to be involved in 08, but have come back aboard for 09 and the Anniversary. Our website is http://ddayohio.us/. I hope to see some of you there, as the 128th EVAC will be there.
Sincerely,
Lisa
"Do you mean to say American nurses are here so soon?"
"Little did they know that we had come off with them, waded ashore, and dodged bullets just as they had." -LT Theresa Archard, Chief Nurse, 2nd Unit, 48th Surgical Hospital

doc ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:43

littlelotte wrote:Hi Doc,
I usually go up and help a friend vend, this year was the first time I went as a participant. I found it to be an all out party (not my scene) and that was pretty much it.

Yeah, I'm not into the "frat party" atmosphere up there, either. My unit is a "dry" unit i.e. we don't drink at events. So I know what you mean about that not being your scene. We used to be billeted with the 1st SSF (there were never more than 4-6 of us that attended any given year -- not enough to get our own floor), so we got the brunt of the FIG "party" happening on our floor every year. But then again, rowdiness is historically accurate for the 1st SSF -- though their unit presence at the Battle of the Bulge is certainly not (as it was dissolved in December 1944)!

Conneaut is a bit of a haul for us, as we are in the extreme SE of Virginia. However, a unit that we often fall in with for WWII and Korea tacticals -- the 8th ID -- might attend as they have done that event in the past. If you need a POC for them I can provide it. I'm on their website as their unit medic, but they have since enlisted someone else to do the job permanently, as I don't attend all of their events. Thanks for the invite, though!

littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Feb 23, 2009 20:02

that would be great. We have been trying to get more units involved. This year marks the 10th Anniversary, and we are trying to get some Higgins boats and few other period craft for the event. Unfortunately the Buffalo Navy which has provided our Landing craft in the past years has decommissioned all of their boats and we are trying to raise funds to support the expense of the event. We have only charged a registration fee one year and it really hurt us, so we have chosen to continue to keep it a free event with only a gate fee for those not pre registered. But the expenses keep going up and the money is not coming in. We are selling "warbonds" this year to help offset costs and will be sending them out to purchasers as souveneirs of the event. I know about the haul, I am in Maryland and it is 6 hours from me, and my hubby is in the military and we are transferring to TN this year, so by the time the event hits we will have a 14 hour haul for it. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Lisa
"Do you mean to say American nurses are here so soon?"

"Little did they know that we had come off with them, waded ashore, and dodged bullets just as they had." -LT Theresa Archard, Chief Nurse, 2nd Unit, 48th Surgical Hospital

Return to “American Events”