sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Ft Stevens OR Aug 2012

Wed Aug 22, 2012 07:22

Every year on the third weekend of August, our living history group gathers at Fort Stevens near Astoria Oregon. Fort Stevens is a former Coast Artillery installation positioned on the south edge of the mouth of the Columbia River. Fort Stevens was intended to work with Fort Columbia on the north edge of Columbia river to protect access to the river.

This year we had our largest gathering of living historians (about 26 folks) including PADoc and his crew representing a Battalion Aid Station. It was great to add the BAS to the display. At one point on Sat, a group of grunts went on a patrol around the Fort and returned with a suprise "casualty" for the BAS. In true professional form, the crew went to work with the efficiency of a real medical team and had Austin bandaged, splinted and ready to transport on a Jeep within minutes. It was a great performance by all. Unfortunately, most of the crowd that enjoyed the show were the rest of us who had setup displays. I have no explanation, but the crowds of visitors this year were significantly down although all the neighboring parks were reporting booked full. We did discuss ways that we can encourage more interest from visitors. Hopefully next year will have strong participation of displays and can drive more interest from the public.

Photos will follow shortly.

Peter
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Akko
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Ft Stevens OR Aug 2012

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:34

I'm interested :D
Its going to look amazing

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Aug 23, 2012 08:46

Sounds like you had a good time.
I'm looking forward to the photos.

Andrew

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Mon Aug 27, 2012 05:06

Well, I thought I had more photos of Dirk, Robert and Janice's BAS, but didn't get the detail I was hoping for. Here's what I have:

http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/sgtpeter/FoWJ/FtStevensBAS/

Most of the pics are of Austin as the casualty. You'll have to ask Dirk about the litter carrier :)

All photos courtesy of and copywrite by Bryan Ilyankoff.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Aug 27, 2012 07:07

Peter,
Thank you for the most kind comments on our aid station. Always fun to have an unexpected casualty to demonstrate technique on. This was a great event and a wonderful site, but a little light on spectators. Friends of Willie and Joe is one of the outstanding living history organizations in the Pacific Northwest and it is an honor to work with you.

I was not able to open the pictures from photobucket for some reason. Any chance of sendingthe in another format?
Thanks,
Dirk

WS-G
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Dec 06, 2018 17:46

I had the opportunity to visit Ft. Stevens several years ago when I was living in the northwest and it is definitely worthwhile. One of the best Coast Artillery Corps museums in existence, and a lot of the fortifications for the old disappearing carriage guns are still there, even though the weapons themselves have long since been dismantled.

Nearby Camp Rilea -- which IIRC began life as something of an "annex" to Ft. Stevens -- is still in use today as a training site for the Oregon ARNG, and the old observation post bunker at the northernmost limit is still there. The Oregon State Police had their training academy located there for a number of years as well.

Return to “Past Events”