Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Surgical sponge 2"x2" x 200 label

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35

Here is a reproduction label (in PDF format) for the Surgical Sponge 2” x 2” 200 pack (US Medical Department item 92123).

Produced by Andrew Bower from scans of an original item.

Made to be shared free for historical re enactment and not to be used for commercial purposes.

The PDF needs to be printed at 48% scale in order to obtain correct size.

Original label was on off white/white paper and was attached to a brown kraft paper package (measuring 100mm x 100mm x 65mm) that contained 4 stacks of 50 2”x 2” surgical swabs. Each stack of 50 swabs was bundled by being tied with twine.

I have also included some photos of the original and my reproduction.

Andrew

IMG_1661.jpg
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1666.jpg
IMG_1667.jpg
Attachments
Form 1625-G final M48.pdf
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 835 times
Last edited by Andrewb on Wed Oct 05, 2011 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: Surgical sponge 2"x2" x 200 label

Wed Oct 05, 2011 01:16

Hi Andrew - that looks really good! Thanks for posting the information. Is that just 2x2 gauze or is it more dense/absorbant than regular gauze?
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Oct 05, 2011 02:32

Hi Peter

Thanks

The reproduction was made with 8 ply 5cm x 5cm (2" x 2") gauze swabs. These look to be the same thickness as the original items.

8 ply is currently fairly standard for use as dressing material and in the operating theatre. One difference with modern swabs/sponges for use in operating theatres is that they have a radio opaque strip woven into them (looks like a black line across the sponge) so that will be visible on x-ray.

As you can see the original packet is fairly thin material and has bulged a bit over time. Maybe I should take the reproduction and kick it around the yard a bit :P

Here is one of the labels from the swabs I used.

Andrew

IMG_1676.jpg

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed Oct 05, 2011 03:24

Perfect ... I checked the MED3 and it does not indicate the correct ply for the sponges, but the 8 ply looks spot on. Looks like the 8 ply are available from several resources for $2-4/100. For the wrapping, did you just use a paper grocery bag? As for aging, you could certainly drop it in a field medic bag or leave it in the back of an MV for a short time and get that rugged look. I used to make D Ration bars and decided to carry a couple in my HBT pockets. After one season, you could hardly tell the difference between an original and a repro.

Keep up the good work!
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Oct 05, 2011 06:29

For the wrapping I used some kraft paper off a roll I purchased from an art supply store but I am looking for a better match in terms of colour. A grocery bag would be good in terms of colour and weight but you would need to find one large enough as the over all dimensions of the sheet used were 350mm x 210mm (that is larger than an A4 paper sheet).

The way I did it was to make a template of the dimensions and fold lines of the wrapper on some cardboard and used this to mark the kraft paper (now I can quickly produce multiples without having to remeasure). I pre folded the wrapper over a ruler to get the correct shape prior to wrapping over the gauze.

There are a few other details. You may notice on the picture that one side is taped shut with paper tape and this tape is wrapped around slightly onto the adjacent side of the package. The label is then glued onto the tape on the front. The other side is closed by gluing the tab you can see on the picture. This tab was created by cutting 2 lines into the overhanging paper of the end prior to folding (I then shaped this with scissors to match the serrated curved edge of the original).

Hope this makes sense.

If it will help I could post a sketch of the dimensions of the template.

You are right about the ageing. I could just carry the reproduction around in my backpack for a week or so and it will be aged years (it is like a time machine in there)! I once had a colony of drosophila (fruit fly) colonise a genetics text book I was carrying (it was like my own private research project)- it probably had something to do with the squashed banana that was also hiding in there!

Andrew

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Mon Dec 19, 2011 01:20

Looking closely at the original wrapper - it appears to be a small size kraft paper bag or sack. What is the overall size of the package?

here's typical US bag sizes...

http://www.uline.com/BL_5502/Hardware-Bags
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Dec 19, 2011 03:12

Hi David

That would make sense.

If that is correct the size of the base of the bag as measured from the original would be 4"x2 1/2". and the top of the bag would be folded in at 4" height and the tape and label placed over the folded edge to close the package.

Andrew

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Dec 19, 2011 04:47

David

It looks from your link that the closest size is the 4 5/16 x 2 7/16 x 7 7/8" S-6910 bag. Note the paper on the original is relatively thin.

In making the reproduction I essentially made a paper bag from craft paper and then added the contents, folded the top down and taped. If you want the dimensions and pattern I used I can try and find my sketch and post it here when I get a chance if it would be of any use to you.

Hope this helps

Andrew

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Mon Dec 19, 2011 13:03

I would be interested in your measurements.
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Dec 19, 2011 16:31

No problem.

Will post when I next get to my home computer.

Andrew

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue Dec 20, 2011 17:59

Surgical swab pack template 2.pdf
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
Here is the surgical swab pack template.

Measurements are in metric. mm = millimetres.

Andrew

Surgical swab pack template 2.pdf
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 718 times

Return to “Reproduction & Printable Paperwork”