sirjahn
Corporal
Corporal

Researching my Father's Past

Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:37

I am the son of an 82nd Airborne Division paratrooper who was wounded and captured on D-Day. He was held in a POW Hospital in Rennes France until he escaped just prior to the capture of Rennes by the VIII Corps 8th Infantry Division/13th Infantry Regiment. My Father died in 1988 and I am seeking to reconstruct his path during WWII.

What I am seeking is what Evac Hospital handled the Allied POWs liberated at Rennes? Also I would like to know if the hospitals kept a roster of patients and if those are available anywhere? My Father returned to US control on or about 4 August 1944.

My Father's letters indicate that he was brought back to England for surgery and follow up care. His letters have 4132nd Hospital Plant (APO 62) and 4167th Hospital Plant (APO 514-A). In searching your site I don't see much information on Hospital Plants or what Hospitals were part of the plants. Does this information exist anywhere? I notice Hospital Centers located in the same APOs. Are those the Hospital Plants? If so what was the make up of those Hospital Centers and do their patient rosters exist?

Several Allied Medical personnel were also at Rennes providing care to the wounded POWs. Do you know of any roster of those personnel or any details of their activities or experiences?

Thanks,

Dale
Dale
LTC USA (Retired)

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Researching my Father's Past

Wed Jan 12, 2011 17:08

Question:
"My Father's letters indicate that he was brought back to England for surgery and follow up care. His letters have 4132nd Hospital Plant (APO 62) and 4167th Hospital Plant (APO 514-A). In searching your site I don't see much information on Hospital Plants or what Hospitals were part of the plants. Does this information exist anywhere? I notice Hospital Centers located in the same APOs. Are those the Hospital Plants? "

No idea where there's a list of all of the hospital plant numbers, but here's a "quick and dirty" explanation....
Fixed US Army hospitals in certain areas were assigned plant numbers, which were permanent, and stayed with the location, no matter which unit was stationed there or administering it.

As different units occupied and administered the hospital plants, the hospital might be known and referred to by the name of the unit there at the time. But the underlying official designation of the place would be the hospital plant number, no matter which unit was assigned to it.

Lois, subject to correction, of course

sirjahn
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Jan 12, 2011 17:29

Lois - Thank you for that information.

Do you know if there are listings of patients treated or in treatment that would have been kept by a medical unit? I would imagine that the hospitals would have to provide some kind of status to the patient's unit to keep them up to speed. In particular I would be interested in the Evac Hospitals supporting the Third Army that would have picked him up for treatment after liberation.

Dale
Dale
LTC USA (Retired)

Alain
Major
Major

Mon Jan 24, 2011 17:21

Hi Dale,
Apologize for this late reaction. Had some problems with my PC & accessories ... not yet solved, but I hope they'll be within short ... can't miss 'em !
Let me first welcome you on this Forum, Ben and I certainly hope you'll have a pleasant stay, and time to browse through our numerous Articles. I meanwhile saw that you already fired away ... good, that's the aim of this Forum.

I'll be going through your other messages that contain more data about your Dad, but wish to tell you that the "Krankenblatt" you have is the first of such documents that I ever saw. I was told of its existence by other "All American" Vets who passed through Rennes as POWs, but no one apparently ever kept one or retrieved one.

Just a few general comments, I am aware of the Hospital Plants and the Hospitals, but have never come across listings or info detailing their specific relation to Hospitals. I can also tell you that among the numerous original Annual Reports (Hospital units) that Ben and I have gone through, only two of them mentioned the corresponding Hospital Plant. Such Plants could be linked to different Hospitals, and whereas one of the latter moved on or was transferred, the Plant did not.

For your info, all daily Company Morning Reports should normally indicate the wherabouts of their personnel (sick, AWOL, DS, transfer, attachment, prisoner, absent, etc) and all Hospitals had detailed lists of Admission and Disposition. As far as I know, your Father's Medical Records should also include that information. Have you tried obtaining these ? I know that clerks and/or administrative personnel were responsible for omissions and typos, but in general, those kinds of reports usually reflected the current status of what went on at the post and in the field.

Wish you all the best with research.
Greetings,
Alain
MRC Administrator

sirjahn
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Jan 24, 2011 17:52

Alain,

Thanks for your reply. My Father's records suffered from the fire in the 1970s and I only have a DD214 with the basic service information.

Based on conversations thusfar it would most likely be the 35th Evac which handled my Father upon return to Allied control. Do you know if the Admisions and Disposition records exist in NARA for the period of August 1944 for the 35th?

My Father indicated that once back in England he was in the middle of nowhere which fits the Salsbury Plains pretty closely. :P By the APO that seems to be where the 4132nd Hospital Plant was located (Warminster). After much recoperation he was sent to another hospital. The APO of the second Hospital Plant 4167 is north of Nottingham (Mansfield) back to near where the 508th PIR left for Normandy.

So any ideas on which Hospitals would have been in those areas and if the same A&D records might be available?

Dale
Dale
LTC USA (Retired)

sirjahn
Corporal
Corporal

Tue May 08, 2012 14:52

I found a listing of US units and locations for June 1944 and found Hospital Plants and the units associated with them at that location. The ones I care about are below.

Code: Select all

Erlestoke        24 Hospital Trains                           Wiltshire   VU4274
Erlestoke Park   77 Station Hospital (-) Headquarters (-)     Wiltshire   VU4274
Erlestoke Park   141 General Hospital Advance Detachment      Wiltshire   VU4274
Erlestoke Park   Detachment of Patients 4132 Hospital Plant   Wiltshire   VU4174
Erlestoke        Reconditioning Center No 1                   Wiltshire   VU4274

Stoneleigh   1 Rehabilitation Center               Warwickshire   VP7894
Stoneleigh   162 Army Postal Unit                  Warwickshire   VP7894
Stoneleigh   216 Quartermaster Laundry Pl H        Warwickshire   VP7894
Stoneleigh   307 Station Hospital Headquarters     Warwickshire   VP7691
Stoneleigh   4167 Hospital Plant                   Warwickshire   VP7894

There are 64 other Hospital Plants are on the list if anyone is interested.
Dale
LTC USA (Retired)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”