euryalus
Private

Hello from Oxfordshire

Mon Feb 17, 2014 21:01

Hello Everybody,

I am a UK-based writer and historian named Stanley C.Jenkins, and have just registered for this site under the user name "Euryalus" which, as a matter of interest, was Admiral Nelson's favourite warship. I have a particular interest in Oxfordshire military hospitals, including those at Bradwell Grove and Finstock - the latter being US General Hospital No.317. I also have an interest in UK ambulance trains, which were associated with these (and other) hospitals.

Ben
Major
Major

Re: Hello from Oxfordshire

Mon Feb 17, 2014 21:12

Hello Stanley,
Welcome to our Forums! I'm sure that you will find your time here useful. We have lots of knowledgeable users and historians on board, all of whom will gladly help with any questions or queries you might have.
Kind regards,
Ben.
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

forgotten fortress
Private

Re: Hello from Oxfordshire

Wed Nov 11, 2015 16:16

Hello Stanley
I'm new here too and I have a very special interest in a US military hospital in Oxford called the 97th General Hospital. This was based in Wheatley and dealt with US Service Men with head injuries. I am working on a project called The Forgotten Fortress, a B-17G that crashed at Great Rollright, Oxon on 23 December 1944. The sole survivor (out of 9) is still alive and lives in Missouri. I am writing the book about this event and trying to find out about a visit that was made to this hospital by the future Queen Elizabeth II (as Princess Elizabeth) on Christmas Day 1944 where she shook the hand and spoke with 'our' survivor Clifford Heinrich. Is there any chance we could share information? I confess I never heard of the US being at Bradwell or Finstock. I'd like to know more. Best regards
Michael Rainsberry (michaelrainsberry812fortress@gmail.com)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”