horsaglider
Private

Hello from New Orleans, LA

Tue Sep 16, 2014 20:26

Hello all, I will briefly introduce myself here and then submit a more detailed post In a day or so.

My father, Charles C. Bass, Jr., flew a Horsa Glider into Normandy on the late evening of D-Day. This was part of Mission Elmira and his Serial was No. 32. Due to machine gun fire and flak, the flap controls were disabled and the glider crashed into a hedgerow with trees at approximately 22.55 hrs. The landing was reported to have been northeast of Ste. Mere Eglise. A number of other gliders in the serial also landed in that same general area. For my father, the crash resulted in a compound fracture of the lower left arm, a fracture of the upper left arm, and a fracture of the left leg.

I have been researching his flight and crash for a good while now, my ultimate goal being to determine as closely as possible the landing location. I will give further information in another post shortly, and pose a couple of questions I would like to ask.

Looking forward to advancing my research on this forum.

Charles

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Hello from New Orleans, LA

Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:49

Hi Charles.

Welcome to the forum.

I wish you luck in your search and hope you find some more information here. I will keep an eye out for your future posts.

Andrew

Ben
Major
Major

Wed Sep 17, 2014 22:10

Welcome aboard, Charles.

We will all certainly offer as much assistance as possible with your research. Allow me to take this opportunity to wish you every success with your research. As Andrew has already indicated, I too will keep a close eye on the Forum for your future posts and questions.

Kind regards,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sirjahn
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Sep 18, 2014 16:42

Welcome to the forums. There is another site which has been working on gliders on D-Day you might find interesting for your research. http://normandy.whitebeamimages.ie/forum/forum-54.html

Edited to add: Doh I see you have already been involved over at WhiteBeam.
Dale
LTC USA (Retired)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”