eawilson
Private

216th Armored Medical Battalion - Looking for Information

Mon Jul 18, 2016 18:06

My grandfather was a member of the 216th Armored Medical Battalion. I would like to learn anything I can.

I recently found an envelope of negatives that he took with his fellow medics after the war. I'm working to have them professionally scanned, and eventually would like to identify the individuals in the photos. They were taken in France after the war. Records indicate that he arrived back in the U.S. on June 5, 1946 it would have been taken in the preceding months.

Any information or resources are appreciated.

Thank you!

Alain
Major
Major

Re: 216th Armored Medical Battalion - Looking for Information

Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:41

Hi,
It would have been nice to have your name, or at least your first name to reply.
The 216th Armored Medical Battalion was an organic unit of the 16th Armored Division.
Activated 15 July 1943 at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas, and staged at Camp Shanks, New York 28 January 1945, until final departure for overseas 5 February 1945.
Landed in France 17 February 1945, and moved to Germany on 19 April 1945. The Division entered Czechoslovakia 8 May 1945, and fought during the advance on the Bor-Pilsen Road capturing the Skoda Munitions Plant. As the Division reached the ETO quite late, only 1 campaign credit was awarded; Central Europe. The 16th Armored Division returned to New York 13 October 1945 and was finally inactivated at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, 15 October 1945.
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Alain
MRC Administrator

eawilson
Private

Re: 216th Armored Medical Battalion - Looking for Information

Tue Jul 19, 2016 20:39

Hi Alain,

Thank you for your response. This is helpful. Once I get the pictures professionally scanned I'll be able to look more closely for more clues as to where they were taken as I try to identify the places and people.

One question. I have his bonus paperwork which lists his return to U.S. date as 10 June 1946 through New York. I've also found newspaper clipings that suggest that this is accurate, because they indicate that while his two brothers are home he is in transit. Would that make sense? If the rest of the unit was returned in October 1945? Obviously we don't have the precise explanation, but I'm just wondering if I need to dig closer at the dates.

Thanks again for your reply,

LW

Return to “Introduce Yourself”