LoriS
Private

WWII Evac Hospital Log Book/Journal

Wed Jan 25, 2017 19:51

Good Afternoon!

About twenty years ago, I found this book at a resale store.I was surprised to find that it was a handwritten numerical log of the daily incoming, transferred, wounded, deceased, etc., including enemies and allies.
It also includes details of where and when they moved the evac. hospital with names of cities they were in or near. It also mentions V-E day and how they moved the patients out. Someone kept very detailed notes, but it doesn't have a name or Evac. hospital unit number listed.

Over the years, I had done some research and actually found out from your website that it appears to be from the 96th Evac. Hospital. All the dates and places correlate. I even looked into the two people mentioned on your site, Captain Christine M. Gebhardt, ANC + Executive Officer, 96th Evacuation Hospital, Captain Woodard W. Kerr, MC.. It appears they both lived in the area where I found the book. In fact, When I looked up Captain Kerr, I found that he died shortly before I found the book,
so I am stretching it to say, that maybe it was his? Not sure, but it sounds feasible.

I still have the book, and am uncertain what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Ben
Major
Major

Re: WWII Evac Hospital Log Book/Journal

Wed Jan 25, 2017 19:54

Hello Lori,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, and thanks for sharing your excellent find and story with us. I am so glad to learn that the website was able to assist you with identifying the actual unit mentioned in the book.

I have sent you a Private Message via the Forum also.

Kind regards,
Ben.
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “Introduce Yourself”