zwolf
Private

The Boys from Illinios...USA

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18

Greetings All,
My name is Darren and I live in Central Illinois, USA. I am married with a grown child. I am a registered nurse (or murse, if you are a fan of "Scrubs") I attend the University of Illinois majoring in history with an interest in military history. I plan on using my medical expertise and combine it with my passion for military history and specialize in military medical history. I stumbled on your site after joining an American medics forum. I have also recently been recruited to join an Airborne reenactment group forming in the Illinois region. Lots of rambling, but it is 5am here in the States.
Alles klar!

Alain
Major
Major

Re: The Boys from Illinios...USA

Wed Apr 22, 2009 07:47

Welcome Darren,
Ben and I hope that you'll enjoy your stay with us !
Feel free to use our Forum and speak out - you can post whatever you like, as long as it is related to the US Medical Department in WW2 (or the other listed subjects) . Any queries will be replied to , to the best of our ability .
We are open to suggestions and and if you feel that you can be of help with additional information, data, subjects, unit histories, or testimonies, for our website, we will gladly look into your proposals ...
All the best ,
Ben and Alain :D
MRC Administrator

littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Apr 23, 2009 01:23

Welcome Darren,
You will find this site to be very useful.
-Lisa
Maryland....
"Do you mean to say American nurses are here so soon?"
"Little did they know that we had come off with them, waded ashore, and dodged bullets just as they had." -LT Theresa Archard, Chief Nurse, 2nd Unit, 48th Surgical Hospital

zwolf
Private

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:52

Thanks! I am looking forward to learning from you all. Can anyone recommend any reading for this hobby?
Alles klar!

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Thu Apr 23, 2009 18:17

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum. As for reading material, depends on what you are interested in. I'm guessing you have already reviewed some of the pages on this site? Let us know if you have something specific we can steer you towards.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

zwolf
Private

Fri Apr 24, 2009 01:21

I was looking for any good reference for medics in general and airborne medics specifically. I usually try to glean information about medics from general account books. I'm looking for anything specific.
Thanks
Alles klar!

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Apr 25, 2009 20:11

Darren,
If you have not already, may I suggest that you obtain a copy of Michel DeTrez's book dedicated to 82d Airborne Medic Dan McIlvoy. It's a fascinating account of his actions throughout the war as a medic with the unit and it certainly contains some brilliant photographs.
Thanks,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

zwolf
Private

Sun Apr 26, 2009 06:23

Thanks Ben, I will check it out! I am reading "An Army at Dawn" by Rick Atkinson right now and I am enjoying it!
Darren
Alles klar!

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 28, 2009 01:11

Hi Darren -

If you don't have any experience with military medicine, I would also recommend that start looking for Army manuals. First I would start with FM 21-11 First Aid For Soldiers, FM 8-50 Bandaging and Splinting and FM 8-35 Transportation of the Sick and Wounded. I would also recommend TM 8-220 Medical Dept Soldier Handbook. The handbook covers a lot of the important stuff covered in the 3 prior FMs plus other general Soldier stuff. These are good books about how the Army wants medics to act and what they should now. As you want to expand your knowledge - or if you decide to move away from the front line medic role - look for any FM8-* to include FM 8-10 Medical Service of Field Units and FM 8-55 Reference Data. Both of these more detailed medical info. Even if you have military medicine experience, I would recommend getting the manuals as military medicine has improved in the last 60 years.

I used to have a link that you could download TM 8-220 but can't find it now. If you go to this link you should be able to find a good selection of the above mentioned FMs ready for download in PDF.

Just checked eBay and there are several original copies of TM 8-220 available for under $10. I would consider anything under $20 a good price for the TM. Original copies of the FMs are harder to find and prices reflect that.

I would also recommend that you check this list of manuals that Ben and Alain have already put together.

Good luck!
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

zwolf
Private

Tue Apr 28, 2009 04:32

Thanks!! I really appreciate the help. I already have FM 21-11 coming (got it on E-Bay for $6.00) I will look for some of the others soon.
What do you guys do during a tactical type exercise?
Thanks again,
Darren
Alles klar!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”