bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sisters at 202nd Gen Hosp and Camp Cooke

Sun Aug 02, 2009 19:10

My mother and aunt went through nursing school together, then joined the Army Nurse Corps and served together at the Camp Cooke (now Vandenburg AFB) Station Hospital in California, and then shipped overseas in November 1944, eventually serving together with the 202nd General Hospital in Paris.

I've spent the last 14 years documenting the history of my father's Third Army unit (see http://www.super6th.org), and am now turning my attention to my mother's service, which I know will be much more challenging.

Like the combat veterans I've met who rarely talk about their battle experiences, my mother never told me any substantive stories about her time in Europe, although she had many happy stories about her Camp Cooke stint.

There is very little known about the 202nd General Hospital, and I've discovered from a driver assigned to the unit that the reason for this dearth of knowledge and history is that 202nd personnel were divided up and assigned to several different hospitals around Paris. They never functioned in Europe as a single unit. [I NOW KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY ACCURATE. THE 202nd DID HAVE A ROUGH TIME STARTING UP, AND PERSONNEL WERE ASSIGNED TO DIFFERENT PHYSICAL LOCATIONS AT DIFFERENT TIMES, BUT THE 202ND DID IN FACT HAVE ITS OWN PHYSICAL PLANT ALONG THE SEINE, TO THE NORTHWEST OF PARIS, AND FORMALLY FUNCTIONED AS A GENERAL HOSPITAL BY MAY '45. -- BF 090818]

I've already had some pleasant exchanges here with Alain, as well as with Lois (203rd General Hospital), and I'm well acquainted through the 6th Armored Division with Al Sims, who has contributed 76th Armored Medical Battalion info here.

I will be posting what information I have related to the 202nd General Hospital, and to the Station Hospital and Camp Cooke. If anybody can contribute to a discussion about the 202nd, I would be most appreciative.

Bruce Frederick
Son of 1st Lt. Alta Widener Frederick, and nephew of 1st Lt. Alma Widener, both ANC (ret.), deceased.
Last edited by bfrederi on Tue Aug 18, 2009 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Sisters at 202nd Gen Hosp and Camp Cooke

Mon Aug 03, 2009 00:52

Welcome Bruce,
You have come to the right place.
Sincerely,
-Lisa
"Do you mean to say American nurses are here so soon?"
"Little did they know that we had come off with them, waded ashore, and dodged bullets just as they had." -LT Theresa Archard, Chief Nurse, 2nd Unit, 48th Surgical Hospital

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:17

Thanks, Lisa.

It's been a few years since I Googled around for "Army Nurse Corps" and this site did not exist the last time I tried. I knew I had hit gold after browsing just a few pages.

WW II combat units are relatively easy to research, because so many of them compiled unit histories or began post-war alumni associations. The medical units just don't have that much documentation out there, and since I'm starting so late, there won't be many of the original veterans around as there were for my father's unit when I started in the mid-90s.

Looks like I'll actually have to do some real work to put together anything about the 202nd General Hospital. :shock:

Alain
Major
Major

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:56

Hello again Bruce,
Nice to see that you found your way to our Forum . I'm glad we had such an interesting correspondence the last few days .
Feel free to use the space as you like - it might be another opportunity to discover, research, or talk to someone who might have know your Mother and Aunt, or has more to share about the 202d General Hospital ...
Good luck and all the best ,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Ben
Major
Major

Thu Aug 20, 2009 21:30

Readers,
Following on from some concern by Bruce, and due to the increasing amount of data that was being gathered about the 202d Gen Hosp, we have now split this topic into two - one which remains here, and a new Reference thread in the Reference Forum. Please click on the link below to visit the Reference Topic:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=670
Thanks,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Return to “Introduce Yourself”