pmuranyi
Private

Tue May 27, 2008 23:59

HI! Sounds like your really doing a bang up job! I'll take a can and the wicks. I am an artists by my profession so all the lettering I can do myself. I don't know if the cans had any lettering. I will hand letter the MD on the crate and even may up grade the crate with the hangers on the back. Thanks for the photo Ben! The price is fair. I have so many other projects to finish (that I have to make), before the tent goes up I really appreciate that you are making the lantern gear. Post photos. The instructions on the lid would be great if you could post them so we can download the PDF's.

I do have an idea for the green globes. I am going to buy a clear globe and air brush the inside of it with a green glass paint. Any hobby store should have a proper green glass paint to do this. I would not light the lantern with the green globe but for display it could work well.
Just a possible thought!
Keep us posted of your hard work!
Thanks
Paul

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Wed May 28, 2008 00:28

WT Kirkman had NOS green globes available at one point - it may be worth a call to them. The globes are supposed to be wrapped in cotton waste which is the same as the pillow stuffing that you buy at the craft store. Usually they were then wrapped in kraft paper, and a glued-on paper label had the item number.

Here is the 1/2 gallon can:
Image No markings applied yet. It sounds like none were on the original cans, which matches the example I have of a WWII 1 qt container.

Here are the wick envelopes - dated 1943 & 1944, mixed makers (Dietz & Kirkman) Lacquer sealed paper so the wicks won't absorb moisture.
Cost on the wick envelopes is $3 for 2 or $4 for all 3 - POSTAGE PAID. I dipped a sample in the sink today - not water-proof, but they are water resistant.

I'll let you know on the fuel can as soon as I confirm that I can get more cans.
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Ben
Major
Major

Wed May 28, 2008 08:02

Hi Dave,
Great work on the Kerosene can and also the wick containers. May I ask what your source was for the wick envelopes, since I haven't seen any like this before. I would certainly be interested to purchase some packs from you.
As a side note, one improvement I would like to suggest for the fuel can is that the original illustrated in the 1944 Medical Department Supply Catalog looks to have a large section indented into the sides and ends of the container. I don't know whether or not this would be possible to reproduce, but am also interested in a container if more are available.
Thanks for sharing these with us,
Ben :D
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Wed May 28, 2008 13:36

Gentlemen:

Unfortunately there is only one maker of this size can here in the USA, and they advised me they would be happy to make the can with the indent, if we'd order 10,000 pieces to justify the die creation. I don't think there is enough interest today...

As it is, I may have to buy 75 cans to be able to make more than the one I have now, but should get a confirmation later today on that topic. Wish me luck.

The wick envelope is based on a sample found in a friends "collection" (read 40x100 pole barn full of GI parts, vehicle parts and odds & ends) His example is post-war, and in poor condition. This reproduction envelope is about 1/2" longer than the original, and the original was closed with a metal split brad, while this is gummed. I used the Medical Dept ID # - his had QM ##
David J. Little

Ben
Major
Major

Wed May 28, 2008 13:49

Dave,

Thanks for filling us in. I don't think that it would be possible to shift 10,000 units of the container, so I think that the reproduction that you have sourced already will be more than adequate. Kindly let us know how you get on with the confirmation.

Your friend sounds as though he has a lot of little gems hidden away in those barns of his! Nice find, and thanks for taking the time to reproduce these for us lantern crate collectors!

Thank you and best wishes,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed May 28, 2008 16:06

David -

Your work looks great, you have obviously put much effort into it. When you are ready, I'll take a set of the wick envelopes.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Thu May 29, 2008 01:42

Guys - so we don't hog Ben & Alain's space - e-mail me with your mailing address, and I'll start mailing things tomorrow. TenthA86@qwest.net

The can guy is going to call me back with a price in the morning (I hope) for a broken case. I really don't want 75 of 'em, so I'll try for a smaller quantity (like 10)

5-29-08 Envelopes were mailed - please report back if you like 'em or not. I thouight they came out pretty good

6-3-08 UPDATE** Ordered a few cans today - should arrive next week. It takes 3 days to layer up all the paint (4 coats of color & 2 clear coats) I hope to be able to ship in about 10-14 days! Price should hold at $12 + shipping for the cans
Last edited by TenthA86 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 19:09, edited 2 times in total.
David J. Little

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Thu May 29, 2008 04:04

email sent
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Ben
Major
Major

Thu May 29, 2008 23:33

Dave,
I have sent you an email. Let's hope that you will be able to get the suppliers of the fuel cans to reduce the minimum amount. I'm looking forward to learning how much they will be once you have negotiated.
Thanks and best regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:27

6-16-08 Update
Cans not rec'd yet - maker called - cans should leave their plant today - paint production will start as soon as I recieve them! Paint finish should be fuel-resistant and very usable. Price should be as estimated originally.

6-23-08 Update
Cans have arrived!! Painting process starts tonight - I'll have a total of 6 cans - 3 are spoken for. They should start shipping before the weekend.

Sorry for the delay - darned Liberty Ships took 'em to Tripoli first!

8-12-08 Update
Have the cans painted & ready to ship, but these are much lighter than the originals. The metal is thinner & less sturdy, but these are the only 1/2 gallon cans I can find in the USA. Not perfect, but pretty darned close. P.S. - you will need to make a cork or neoprene gasket for the lid...

Dave
David J. Little

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Thu Jan 29, 2009 17:22

It's "Last Call" on the cans - I have 1 left if anyone wants it.

$12.00 plus shipping ($10.70 via priority mail in the USA) - contact me via e-mail if you are interested.

These lanterns really help light up the aid station and billeting tents all last year, and being able to pack them away in an original looking crate is a nice touch during the day. Thanks to everyone who made this little project possible.

Dave
David J. Little

tractor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Jan 30, 2009 04:55

Have anymore wick bags? I will take the can

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Jan 30, 2009 07:41

Tractor gets the last can! If there is interest, I may try to make more this summer, but for now - the shop is SOLD OUT
David J. Little

Return to “Reference Topics”