steevo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Small Operating Case

Thu Jan 26, 2012 22:46

This is part of my collection. Can anyone tell me what the long, flat item is that should go in the spot to the far left? Thank you.
Attachments
003.JPG

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Small Operating Case

Fri Jan 27, 2012 06:21

Steeve,
Interesting question. It took me awhile to figure that one out myself.
Three items actually.
1. The long flat thing is a case that holds the myringotomy knife and the eye spud.
2. Just above it in the picture, is a place for the nesting ear speculums in their metal case. This is a seperate canvas flap with a snap closure.

All of these items were commonly used in routine eye and ear examinations and treatments in that era, but much less so now. All of these are still made and available in the same patterns and configurations as were commericaly available in the 1940s. The case for the knive and spud is quite hard to find however.

I see you are missing the alligator forceps--these should be easy as the pattern has not changed at all.

The chrome folding head mirror is really hard to find. I have one and have used it, and it is a horrible device. I am sure they changed them out to the fabric strap type like you have as soon as they could.
Hope this helps.
Dirk

steevo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Jan 27, 2012 15:19

Thanks for all of the help. This will make my search much easier, now that I know what to look for. I am no expert by any means, but am trying to "complete" my sets with original or at the least period correct items. Many of the items I find are marked MD USN or have names like Sklar USA, Weck,Tiemann, etc. on them. I don't really know what kind of markings are correct. The list of surgical instruments, etc. on the site has been a great reference.

If there was some kind of a picture book or catalouge of this type of original equipment, I'm sure it would be a best seller on the site!

I have found the angled "alligator" forceps which are still made by Wilde which are rather inexpensive, but new, and have only seen 1 pair so far on eba,./ that sold for over $50. They were very vintage and and worked opposite of regular tweezers. Squeezed to open, spring closed.

I believe I have the correct myringotome knife, it is just in the spot where the probe should go. As for the head mirror, it is marked MD USN but has a leather band with a belt type buckle, looks good in the display, but I don't think it went with this set.

Well, thanks so much again, I have so many questions they will have to wait. I'm sure if there is any other input on these topics, :) it would be greatly apprieciated by all.

doc pittman
Private

Sat Feb 01, 2014 19:09

nice little set there looks really nice

Return to “Reference Topics”