Burly
Private First Class
Private First Class

46th arm med bn

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25

I am the proud owner of a sept 1943 Willys MB. :D The previous owner painted it in British Airborne markings ( well sort of..). This coming winter i will repaint it with markings of the 46th armored medical battalion, 2nd vehicle HQ. I have already done some research on the internet about this unit and found quite alot of info : The AAR for starters.Interestingly enough it doesn't cover the second half of 1944. Perhaps that part got misfiled? I also found quite a list of personel of the 46th arm med bn.
What i find very interesting is the fact that many books about the 4th AD list its med bn to be the 4th! It would seem that many writers simply take each other's information without doublechecking it... :roll:

Here is a question for you :would a vehicle of the HQ of a medical bn be marked with geneva crosses or not?

Also any and all info on this unit is welcome!

Reinier.

Alain
Major
Major

Re: 46th arm med bn

Tue Oct 16, 2012 17:59

Hello Reinier,
WELCOME to this forum, I hope you'll have a pleasant stay with us !

The 46th Armored Medical Battalion was the organic medical unit of the 4th Armored Division. The Division although arriving rather late in the UK (11 Jan 44) did however participate in quite a number of operations on the European Continent, thereby receiving the following Campaign Awards: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe.
As per AR only Ambulances were to receive Geneva Convention symbols, and it was the CO's choice to issue any instructions to adorn 'medical' vehicles in his command with additional flags or painted symbols. I'm not particularly fond of adding more symbols, except maybe for a flag, which was generally accepted and even sometimes recommended ... (Stock No. 5-F-2150)

Good luck with your project and I hope you'll share some photos of your vehicle with us later.

Kind regards,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Burly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wed Oct 17, 2012 18:31

Alain,

Thank you for your answer! You confirmed my thoughts on this matter.
When i am ready repainting my jeep i will post some pictures.

Reinier

Burly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:12

As promised.... Here is my baby after her facelift.

Alain
Major
Major

Fri Jan 11, 2013 16:08

Hi Reinier,
PRACHTIGE foto's ! Beautiful pictures.
Well done, and correct, as the Headquarters Company of an Armored Medical Battalion, indeed only had 4 x 1/4-Ton Trucks in total.
2 > Battalion Headquarters
1 > Battalion Maintenance Section
1 > Battalion General and Medical Supply Section

All the best with your WW2 medical impressions,
Alain :wink: ,
MRC Administrator

Burly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:23

I'm thinking about what sort of extra's i could put on my jeep. Apart from musset bags etc, what specific items would you advise me to seek to complete the picture of my HQ med bn- jeep?

What would this jeep be carrying in WWII?

Reinier.

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40

HI Reinier,

T/O&E (Table Organisation & Equipment) 8-76 lists the equipment issued to and carried by the HQ&HQCo of an Armored Med Bn...
The list is long and some of the items are bulky and heavy and would most probably have been carried in the larger vehicles (HT and Dodge WC, GMC trucks and trailers).
Jeeps would have been used to carry personnel and their lighter personal equipment.
I would suggest adding a couple of M36 musette bags with eating utensils and some spare clothing, maybe a TL122 flashlight and things like that.
An M1935 Waterproof Bedding Roll is nice to pack your sleeping gear, but bulky.
Map/Dispatch cases would have been used by the Officers, and binoculars too were issued.
The HQ also had M209 Code Converter Machines which are VERY expensive nowadays... But the carrying bag is easily found and can be used as camera pouch...
And of course a red Cross vehicle flag and Panel signalling Set.
A nice touch might be a small Med Dept Blanket set filled with blankets to keep warm in the Jeep in winter. It would fit on one of the rear fenders...
Some camouflage netting rolled up in front of the windshield adds some atmosphere too.
A ration crate (C or K) is another handy addition as you can use it to carry some modern day snacks or food...

Just look at some period prictures for inspiration...

JOhan
'29th, Let's Go!'

Burly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08

Fantastic suggestions! What about field telephones and some wire?

Reinier

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Feb 18, 2013 17:10

Burly wrote:Fantastic suggestions! What about field telephones and some wire?

None are listed for the Armored Medical Battalion...

Other items which you could add are a M238 Flag Set (yellow, green, red) and a portable typewriter, a Water Can and canvas bucket..

And of course some of the personal equipment issued to Medical personnel (Medical kits, Geneva convention brassards, an extra field jacket etc...) and vehicle equipment (M2 decontaminating apparatus, First Aid Kit both standard and Gas casualty, windshield defroster etc...)
Throw in a (folding) litter and your Jeep will look fully loaded!!
'29th, Let's Go!'

Return to “Reference Topics”