Fredental
Sergeant
Sergeant

9351520 - Recipient Set, Blood, Expendable

Sat Nov 09, 2013 19:35

Hi to all,

Here is one of my items in collection "9351520 - Recipient Set, Blood, Expendable" (I think Item was referenced in MED-3 from 1945) from BAXTER Laboratories.

Following a previous discussion with Alain I think it's part of "9351500 - Apparatus, Blood Transfusion, Indirect, Complete, Field".

I would like to know if some of you have additional information or details about that item.

Enjoy the pictures ! Feel free to use them for archives if needed :wink:

Fredental

In addition, following is a retranscription of the text :

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE OF ARMY EXPENDABLE BLOOD RECIPIENT SET

This recipient set is packaged, sterile ready for use, and is protected from contamination when removed from the container.

1. Cut away the thin rubber disc on the blood bottle. Remove the glass bead from the end of the short piece of rubber tubing containing the cannula, and remove the cannula. Carefully holding the blunt end of metal cannula, insert the cannula through the rubber stopper of the blood bottle at the larger indentation.

2. When the vacuum is released, remove the cannula and then insert it through the stopper of the blood bottle at the small indentation over the glass air tube. It remains in this position during the infusion.

3. Remove the protecting gauze from the end of the filter assembly and insert the end of this assembly through the previously punctured large indentation.

4. Remove screw clamp from the bail of the blood filled container and close it on tubing of recipient set about six inches from the filter assembly. If clamp is not available, pinch tubing with thumb and first finger. Then suspend the container by attached bail and band.

5. With the tubing clamped or pinched off tightly, express the air from the tubing, between the clamp and the filter housing, up into the suspended bottle.

6. With the tubing clamped or pinched, raise the remainder of the coiled tubing above the level of the blood in the container. Remove the vial from the recipient needle. Open clamp or release the pinched tubing while allowing blood to flow through the filter into the tubing by slowly lowering the tubing.

7. When the tubing is completely filled, the filter housing must be filled with blood as follows:
“Raise needle above the level of the bottle, forcing air from filter into the bottle. Then lower needle to refill tubing with blood. Repeat this procedure until filter chamber is completely filled with blood.”

8. Close clamp, or by pinching near needle close tubing, and insert needle into recipient vein.

9. Open clamp or release tubing. No further adjustment is necessary since the size of the recipient needle regulates the rate of infusion.

10. The flow of blood may stop because of the gathering of clots at the opening of the filter housing. This may be remedied by one or more of the following methods:
(a) Agitate bottle
(b) Close clamp or pinch tubing and milk tubing upward to cause a back flow of blood thru the filter assembly.
(c) Close clamp and take down bottle. Remove filter assembly from bottle stopper and remove clot from inlet of filter assembly by wiping with the sterile gauze. Agitate bottle, reinsert filter assembly, resuspend bottle, and open clamp thus resuming the transfusion.

Product of BAXTER LABORATORIES, INC., Glenview, Illinois
Printed in the USA – June 14, 1945.

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: 9351520 - Recipient Set, Blood, Expendable

Wed Aug 28, 2019 04:02

Hi Fredental (and everyone else).

I know this is an old post but was wondering if I can revive the discussion.

I was looking for photos of equipment used and information on how transfusions were performed. Also can the photos from this post be reposted as I don’t think they are working?

WW2 saw the introduction of citrated blood allowied anticoagulation and thus storage of blood and introduction of blood banking. This was a major medical advance and I thought a demonstration and display based around this would be fun.

Does anyone have photos or information they can share on the process?

A few specific questions?
- What was the process of compatibility testing and avoiding transfusion reactions. We’re recipients simply given the appropriate type specific ABO group compatible with there blood type ( ie was the solders blood type checked on the dog tags and the appropriate blood type bottle simply commenced), or was there a process of physically mixing donor and recipient blood in some agglutination test prior to transfusion as done in modern cross matching practice? If physical compatibility testing was done how was this performed and how long would it take? Alternatively was only Type O blood used for urgent transfusions? I know rhesus group was not tested at this time.

- Were direct(person to person) transfusions still used, and again what was the process. What was the transfusion equipment used in this case?

Any information, suggestions or references are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Return to “Reference Topics”