docdean64
Captain
Captain

[REF] Lister Bag

Mon Oct 13, 2008 01:46

I recently obtained an unissued wartime dated Lister Bag at a hot rod car show of all places. What was really thrilling is that the tripod plate is still attached to the rope as issued. This is the plate that three long tent poles are placed through to form a dispensing tripod. I tried to set it up this way today using some 5' poles and I must be missing something as it was very unstable (I was thinking it would work like stacking rifles, WRONG!). Does someone have a FM/TM, good photos or some other sort of reference on how the poles are supposed to work???

Thanks in advance
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Oct 14, 2008 00:55

My understanding is that you lash the poles together about 12" down from the top, then rotate the legs outward, then hang the bag from the plate & chain. I'll look for a photo - (maybe in Field Sanitation FM??)
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Oct 14, 2008 22:00

Hi Roger,

Firstly, allow me to congratulate you on your purchase! These little gems are getting quite difficult to locate now, so this is certainly a nice find indeed!

I must confess that I have never experienced any difficulty in using the three-pole system to erect my Lyster Bag at events, but the poles which I use are in fact about 9'. Here's an illustration taken at a re-enactment showing the Lyster Bag with the poles:

I have also seen contemporary photographs showing these items having been suspended from three folding aluminum Litters. Unfortunately, I can only locate a partial view of this at the moment, but I will try to find a more complete photograph showing this:

Whilst researching this topic, I did come across this early war photograph, taken perhaps in the ZI, which shows the Lyster Bag having been suspended from three poles. As far as I can tell, there is no lashing applied to the top:

I hope these images will be of some use, and that you will be able to find some way of displaying your new gem! :)

Thanks,
Ben 8)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Oct 14, 2008 22:11

Thanks Ben!

Seeing one assembled helps (my memory leaks worse than a Lister Bag!)
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Wed Oct 15, 2008 01:50

Guys, Thanks so much for the assistance on this question. Ben, I think you may have solved my problem with the picture of your Lyster. I was using 5 foot tent poles and they were possibly too short, forcing the base out at too sharp an angle. I will try longer poles and perhaps that will solve the problem. I'll also lash the rope to the pole tops to add stability.

Ben, very interesting set of photos, I like the one showing the use of the litters. I've seen that pic before and never noticed! The last photo that is a ZI shot, is surprising to me as those are Navy Corpsman! You rarely ever see any Corpsman training shots and these are for sure what they are. The Navy Medical Officers with their black ties and khakis and enlisted in the forest green and tan!! I have one of the large treatment boxes seen in the Navy picture (landing party box) but never had a clue those were used like the MD boxes were for litter support!

The Lyster in that pic is set up using the Marine syle tripod that is hinged on the top. That is what we were still using when I was a Corpsman in the late 1990's early 2000's!! Heck they were probably WW2 issue if I'd of looked close, we never had any new gear!

Thanks again.
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Oct 15, 2008 15:34

Here's yet another Lyster Bag picture. This one was taken in 1941, during the pre-war games, the Louisiana Maneuvers. It shows men from the 119th Quartermaster Regiment, the medical unit with the 44th Infantry, which participated in the maneuvers. And they have made the required rock pit drain, under the bag, as shown in the 1945 FM-21-10.
Attachments
Lyster Bag.jpg

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Feb 22, 2009 13:40

Hi Roger,
I just came across this photograph, showing a Lister Bag in the ZI (notice the denim fatigues worn by the soldier standing to the extreme right). As you'll note, there is in fact a triangular metal plate, which appears to feature a hook from which the Lister Bag itself is suspended. The poles used also seem to be considerably longer than those used in the other photographs herein.

I hope it will be of some use for your display!
Regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Mon Feb 23, 2009 00:54

Ben, Thanks for posting that picture. When looking at the legs of the Lyster in this photo, I'd swear they are actually metal poles or pipes of some sort. I say that as the pole in the foreground is very shiney or glossy near the top like something metallic might be. It looks as if there are threaded sections if you look to the extreme top of the pipe. Additionally I just can't place what type of tent poles those would be, as they don't look like the standard types you see. This pic looks like the Louisiana Manuvers to me.
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

spigots on bag

Tue Mar 03, 2009 00:37

I have another question re. lister bags. The old ones have a small number of spigots, and the more recent ones have more. I have a 1947 marked USMC bag with more spigots than the bags in these pictures. Did the pattern change in the early post war period, or is this a USMC thing? Your thoughts?

Return to “Reference Topics”