Ben
Major
Major

Tue Apr 03, 2007 07:43

Hi there,

I assume that by cartons you mean the boxes of Carlisle Bandages. The boxes are actually larger than A4 size, and so scanning them is somewhat of a problem. I will go into the chests and dig out the ones that I have and take some photographs of them if that would help?

Thanks also for your kind words regarding our site, I am glad that you were able to find some information that was of use,

Thanks again,
Ben

docdean64
Captain
Captain

MD -1 Chest Modified UPDATE

Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:35

Okay, I was pretty satisfied with the MD1 Chests I modified for MD-1's but there was just "something" a little off with them. I finally determined it was the absence of the side skirts under the table that my repro lacked. As a result I modified the table with skirts, which also allowed the attachment of the braces to be modified by simply removing the previously used angle brackets and drilling / pinning the braces to the skirts and then resting them on the ledge in the lid. The table top is very sturdy, secure and can actually hold a decent amount of weight (I would not sit on it or anything!). Here are a few pics albeit not the best of the unit deployed recently at an event.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/ ... 07_271.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/ ... _0_ALB.jpg

MUTT71, you were asking about the "cartons" that pull out in the MD1. They were actually open topped plywood boxes that served as inserts for supplies. Once about to deploy the MD 1's, the two inserts were removed from the chest and it was upended and readied for service. The inserts could then be placed on their sides and stacked like shelves to manage supplies. If you make a modified MD1 out of footlockers simply make two of the inserts that will fit inside the specific footlocker you have. The inserts were roughly the same size, though in some illustrations one does appear slightly larger than the other!
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

mutt71
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Apr 05, 2007 04:30

Thanks Guys! I was referring to the illustration that was shown earlier in this thread that showed the MED 1 box open. I understood that there were two inserts that contained various supplies in each of them. It is those particular boxes that I was looking for. I tried blowing up the illustration to ascertain what they were, but, had no luck in doing so as they distorted somewhat.
Ben, many thanks for the offer to photograph the cartons of Carlisle Bandages. I was not sure as to what they would be. The pics would be invaluable to me, if you could take some of them for me.
I know that all of you are collectors/reenactors and was also involved in WWII Reenacting in the 80's-90's, so I know how much research , time and effort that you all put into your impressions.
I am now working in 1/6th scale and was very lucky to find two 1/6 scale "Footlockers" that are very close to these MED 1 Chests. I have added the folding shelf to each of them and have them marked up as MED 1 Chests, for a diorama that I am producing for the National D-Day Memorial in July. I have a LOT of scale Medical Supplies, but, nothing the size of the boxes in the two inserts and had hoped to be able to make some of them. I will be taking pictures and post them here as I get things together. Again, I can't thank you all enough for the help you have all been.

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 13, 2007 03:22

DocDean:

Is that an original Med 2 chest in the background? Having had no luck there, I may may have to make my own trays. How do the legs work?

Is this do-able?
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 13, 2007 05:24

The chest portion of the MD2 chest is an original, however the inserts are reproductions. Basically they were just made to fit out of plywood. The legs system (i've used two types) are made either of copper tubing or chainlink fence stiffner (the thin metal bars that go on the top and bottom of chain link fnces to keep its shape). The stiffner was bent into a "U" shape to be utilized as a leg system. A small block of wood was secured to each tray corner and the drilled or routed out to accomodate the leg system. I hope that explains it adequately in a short summary. If you need more details please feel free to ask and I'll try to answer as best possible. I'll be off line until Sunday however.
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Wed Apr 25, 2007 01:57

I've just been given several 1949 pattern lockers - like yours, so I can start on my Med 1 & Med 2 chests.

Any help on the legs for the trays would be appreciated...
David J. Little

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Wed Apr 25, 2007 03:05

On the MD 2 I went to Tractor Supply and got some flat metal ad cut it to size for the legs. Then drilled one hole at the end of the "leg" and used a lynch pin to snug it to the "skirt" under the table top. Clear as mud?

MD1, see the above post....
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Wed Apr 25, 2007 04:17

got it

I'm exploring a dry-transfer sheet to mark the top & ends on all 3 main chests (1, 2 & 4) including the trays in Chests #1 & 2, and for the lanterns that go into the lantern crate. This would be WHITE lettering only with the Med Dept part # for the top of the chest, and tray numbers for the sides of the trays. Better than decals - no "halo"! (decided this was NOT VIABLE)
This would give a very clean "printed" look to the markings - you'd still need to get a nice caduceus decal, but that's do-able.

Commercially done is about $60 for the whole set - anyone know a cheaper way? Anyone interested? (Screens for screen print are available - e-mail me)
Anyone have a good source for the decals?
Last edited by TenthA86 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
David J. Little

laroscout
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tue May 13, 2008 00:40

TenthA86 wrote:I've just been given several 1949 pattern lockers - like yours, so I can start on my Med 1 & Med 2 chests.

Any help on the legs for the trays would be appreciated...

I've made a drawing and some pictures for a of my MD 2 chest tray's and the 'legs'.

This is a link to the pdf file (5Mb!)
http://www.pinodesign.nl/medicalcorps/pdf/CHEST_MD-2_INSERT_LAYOUT.pdf

I hope it is of any use...

With all the information on this great site and forum I'm now making my own MD-1 chest. I'll add a drawing with pictures shortly if some one is interested
Guido

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed May 14, 2008 06:45

Hey Guido -

thanks for the information and drawings. that's going to help me thru building my own. One more question, how does the tray set fit in the chest? Can you provide a photo of it in the chest?

Thanks.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

laroscout
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri May 23, 2008 23:04

sgtpeter wrote:Hey Guido -

thanks for the information and drawings. that's going to help me thru building my own. One more question, how does the tray set fit in the chest? Can you provide a photo of it in the chest?

Thanks.

Does this help Peter?

I'll post some pictures of my finished MD-1 shortly...
Guido

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sat May 24, 2008 01:59

Yes it does, thank you very much!

So it looks like the trays lift off the metal supports then the metal supports fold over the top of the trays ... interesting.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Sun Jul 20, 2008 19:01

I just acquired a MD1 chest with the table and dividers removed, but still with original markings $20

Now I have to make a table for it...
David J. Little

Return to “Reference Topics”