LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

[REF] 202nd Gen Hosp and Camp Cooke

Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:14

Ben wrote:Please note:
This particular topic is a branch off from Bruce's introductory post in the "Introduce Yourself" Forum. The original post can be viewed here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=667
I just felt that this clarification was required for purposes of disambiguation.
Thanks,
Ben

Now that I think of it...

The 814th Hospital Center in Paris was the administrative arm of the US Army overseeing the medical activities in the Seine section, and there are extensive records in the National Archives of its doings. There was briefly an 815th Hospital Center as well, but it was of much shorter existence and breadth.

I have copies of some of these records, and the 202nd General Hospital is mentioned a few times concerning administrative events, without any real detail about the place itself or its named personnel, though.

For example, a quick look at a unit report of 31 December 1945, covering the previous 6 months, p. 5, shows that during that period, the 202nd General Hospital was "inspected by the 814th Hospital Center."

Will look for further remarks about the hospital and nurses.

Lois

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Sisters at 202nd Gen Hosp and Camp Cooke

Tue Aug 04, 2009 03:38

Thanks Lois.

I'll post the dates I have when I get a chance, plus a few other tidbits. I do think that a trip to NARA is in my future. This will be a different type of project than I performed for my father's combat unit: that was mostly a case of acquiring several unit histories that were published after the war, scanning them, and getting them on the web. In this case, I'm going to need to do a lot of original research.

Bruce

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:45

Okay, here is a modest start. I've created on-line albums on myphotoalbum.com for pix, and will post scans of documents here. I have lots of material from 1942-1944, Station Hospital, Camp Cooke, CA, but I assume that this topic is not of particular interest, so I've put those in a separate album:

http://202nd.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03

The few photos I have of England and Paris are in a separate album:

http://202nd.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02

Can Lois or anybody else identify the Paris hospital in two of the photos? I believe that is where my mother and aunt (and some number of other 202nd General Hospital personnel) served.

The attachments below (which unfortunately are in reverse chronological order) are scans of my mother's orders, showing assignments and equipment that was dispensed at various times. Unfortunately, it does not show detailed movements of the 202nd like I thought it did.
Attachments
alta_orders_panels_11.gif
August 45 - October 45 -- Transfers to 191st Gen Hosp., 1st Gen Hosp. , and (I assume) back home.
alta_orders_panels_9_10.gif
November 44 - August 45 -- Arrival in England; arrival in France; Post VE-Day transfer to 365th Station Hospital
alta_orders_panels_7_8.gif
September 44 - October 44 -- More equipment issued.
alta_orders_panels_5_6.gif
October 43 - June 44 -- Again, includes details of clothing and equipment issued. Assignment to 202nd and movement to Camp Myles Standish (MA) for embarkation to England.
alta_orders_panels_2_3_4.gif
April 42 - June 43 -- Includes details of clothing and equipment issued.

Alain
Major
Major

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:57

Hi Bruce,
This is incredible news ! Sincere thanks for posting pictures and documents - there's indeed a lot to learn about the sequence of events linked to your Mother's whereabouts when serving with the 202d General Hospital .
The sequence of dates indicates movements of 1st Lt. Alta A. Widener throughout her service years with the US Army Medical Department, including some very interesting data, such as her vaccinations, clothing and equipment issued, even up to her Geneva Convention Brassard number!

The "American Hospital of Paris", was an existing American-financed private medical institution (a gift of the American people chartered by an Act of Congress in August 1914), ran by French Count de Chambrun, an administrator appointed by the German occupation forces. This 150-bed Hospital, located in Neuilly, was however taken over by the US Army, against protests by the French administrator and his staff. The 350th Station Hospital took over the premises where it primarily cared for the Officer and female patients pertaining to US Headquarters stationed in the French Capital.

I don't see any trace of your Mom being assigned on DS to the 350th Station Hospital in the attached documents - but she may have visited the place to see a patient, or gone into the plant for a personal 'health-related' problem ...

Following Hospitals were grouped in Paris and housed in existing buildings: 40th GH (Le Vésinet) 48th GH (Lariboisière) 62d GH (Eaubonne) 108th GH (Beaujon) 203d GH (Garches) and 217th GH (La Pitié).

Thanks for sharing Bruce .
Kind regards ,
Alain (MRC :D
MRC Administrator

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wed Aug 05, 2009 15:13

Thanks Alain. That is valuable information about the American Hospital in Paris.

Lois has also been very generously sharing information via e-mail, so I am getting more and more pieces to the puzzle.

I was wondering if the equipment and clothing info would be of interest to the re-enactors here, or if that is all common knowledge. Sounds like you found it useful.

One of the things that caused me to kick off this project now is that I just returned from a family reunion and saw my cousin Linda (Alma's daughter) for the first time in almost 40 years. Unfortunately, she is not on-line, and she knows even less about Alma's service than I know about Alta's. However, she has one or two boxes of documents that she has not gone through in years, so I'm hoping that if we combine our efforts, we may come up with a much more complete understanding of our mothers' service.

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Aug 05, 2009 19:01

Alain has a point, check out the video of the American Hospital in Paris, 1906 to 2006, and see what you think:
http://www.american-hospital.org/1906-2 ... 301.0.html

Lois

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thu Aug 06, 2009 01:26

That's a great clip, Lois. Thank you for the link.

Here's an update of new info from the past couple of days:

1. Lois located and e-mailed an interesting and relevant 202nd reference from the 814th Hospital Center reports she copied during her 203rd G.H. research in the archives:
++++++++++++++
OK, here's something tucked among the administrative notes of the
814th Hospital Center, Seine Section..from the reports of the Hospital
Inspector. This might explain some things:

"All hospitals were placed on a 60 day evacuation policy for patients
in the early part of March (1945). With this new policy the
establishment of a rehabilitation program became necessary. Hospitals
used their expansion units as Rehabilitation Centers and progressed
very satisfactorily in organizing this program. Hospitals which were
handicapped because of lack of space of A & B rehabilitation patients
sent them to the 202nd (US) General Hospital which was devoted
completely to rehabilitation because deficiencies of physical plant
left it inadequate to take care of new battle casualties."

Which might explain why 202nd nurses were sent off on detached service.

+++++++++++++

2. Here is a list of names related to the 202nd G.H. that I've been able to Google (many obituaries, unfortunately):

Gerald L. "Jerry" Bigalk
Found in Google Books: "We Remember", by Dayle L. DeBry
http://books.google.com/books?id=y8Z0Kq ... 22&f=false
Contains some interesting remembrances of service with the 202nd. Mentions that troop ship to England was USS West Point, October 30, 1944 Boston to November 7, 1944 Liverpool. Gives dates of movement to Paris, and mentions other Paris hospitals.
NOTE: Jerry may be the driver that I corresponded with 10 years ago, who told me the 202nd personnel didn't have their own facility. I need to dig that e-mail out of my old e-mail backups.

Captain Amos V. Persing, Jr.
http://www.77fa.org/WWII_narrative.html
"During the month of March, the following changes occurred in officer personnel: Captain Amos V. Persing, Jr., who had been with the organization for over two and a half years, as our Battalion Surgeon, was released from assignment and assigned to the 202nd General Hospital, on a rotation policy within the theater for deserving medical officers."

Dr. Richard Reeser Jr.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/acc ... taff+chief
Obituary.
"The doctor spent part of his career in the service. He entered the Army as a captain in 1942 and was a major and chief of medicine at MacDill Field Station Hospital, Tampa, until October 1944. He became the chief of medicine at the 202nd General Hospital in Paris as a lieutenant colonel."
Also: http://books.google.com/books?id=fHgwAA ... tal%22&lr=

Ralph John Hunter
http://www.kepnerfuneral.com/cgi-bin/vi ... ObitID=762
Obituary.
"He served over
seas for two and a half years in France, Germany
and Belgium with the 202nd General Hospital Unit.
"

Herbert P. Olson
http://files.usgwarchives.net/tx/orange ... or2m-z.txt
"Dec 1912 - 21 Mar 1965 PA SSGT 202 GENERAL HOSPITAL WWII"

Matt J. Ernst
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/county/platte/wwii.html
"PFC 202 General Hospital Army 23 Mar 1971 St. Bonaventure"

Rodney A Lee
http://www.wlhn.org/daneco/hbg/blooming ... gcem_l.htm
"Oct 22 1920 May 10 1 956 Wis Tec4 202 Gen Hosp WW II"

1st Lt Samuel Friedman
http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs ... c1945.html
On the 7 Dec two more officers joined this unit. They were Capt Jose A. Rivera from the 198th Gen Hosp per par 8, SO # 109, Hqs TSFET (Main), and 1st Lt Samuel Friedman from the 202d Gen Hosp per par 8, SO # 109, Hqs TSFET.

Captain Dante V. Duarte
http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/N-77-AAR.doc
After Action Reports of the 77th Armored Medical Battalion (MS Word format): "On the 4th of April, Captain Dante V. Duarte was transferred from "C" Company to the 202nd General Hospital."

Dr. George Keffer (dentist)
http://books.google.com/books?lr=&id=FE ... rch_anchor
Served briefly with the 202nd in England; transferred to the 38th Infantry Division when he went to France.

Lt. Albert V Freeman
http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22 ... arch+Books

Sgt William H McDonald
http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=%22 ... arch+Books

Loretta O'Donnel Clark
http://books.google.com/books?id=xXAIAA ... osp%22&lr=

Norma L Sussex
http://books.google.com/books?id=xXAIAA ... osp%22&lr=

3. I remembered that my Aunt Alma married an Army dentist (Dr. Donald Ball of Iowa) that she met overseas. This could lead to an interesting connection to Lois's father. I got my cousin's mailing address today and will be writing to her to compare notes and see if she has any records that could be useful in this research. (Unfortunately, she is not on-line.)

4. There apparently was a British 202 General Hospital (RAMC -- Royal Army Medical Corps) that I need to be careful about getting confused with.
Last edited by bfrederi on Thu Aug 06, 2009 04:38, edited 2 times in total.

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Aug 06, 2009 02:25

But that's your building, isn't it?

In the second album you posted, you have a picture of a building labeled "American Hospital".

In the "American Hospital" video clip of their Centennial, 1906-2006, on their website, they show what's labeled their "Memorial Building", just after the WWI section. That looks like the building in
your photo.

Makes sense. Not "an" American hospital in Paris, but The American Hospital in Paris.

Lois

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thu Aug 06, 2009 03:02

Yes, definitely. I agree. When I replied to Alain, I understood that he had identified the building in the photos. I guess my response was ambiguous. I already changed the captions in the album to reflect the new info. (Click the photo to expand it and display the detailed description text.)

Bruce

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tue Aug 11, 2009 15:00

Last night I received a packet of records that Lois generously photocopied and forwarded to me. These were records that she acquired during her research of the 203rd General Hospital, and cover the 814th Hospital Center, which was the common administrative echelon for both the 202nd and 203rd (as well as other medical units in Paris).

I had a chance to look through them last night, and can correct a comment I made earlier: the 202nd did eventually function as single unit, but they did not operate as a full-fledged General Hospital until May '45. There are several references to the inadequate 202nd physical plant, including sewage and water supply issues, and their dependence on tents rather than on permanent structures, but no specific details about where they were located in Paris, or where their personnel were while the hospital struggled establishing itself.

Part of my goal in doing my own research will be to dig out how the 202nd was deployed in Paris and what problems they faced from January - May.

In the next few days, I will post the skeleton of a timeline for the 202nd from the references I found in Lois's research and other sources. I hope other folks with an interest in the 202nd will come across this thread and be able to contribute more info over time.

Thanks to Lois for sharing her research, and to Alain for his American Hospital identification. The med-dept.com site is invaluable. I am very grateful for the info that I've acquired here in such a short amount of time.

Bruce

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Aug 14, 2009 05:10

Here's a summary of my raw material to date.

At this point, I am trying to piece together both my mother's service, and the history of the 202nd General Hospital
with which she served.

The events below are organized chronologically, and the REFERENCE column points to sources listed at the bottom of this page. Where two or more different sources record different dates for the same events, the entry is replicated, with different REFERENCE pointers.

Once again, I must thank Lois for sharing the 814th Hospital Center papers from her 203rd Gen Hosp research with me to get me started.

Code: Select all

DATE            EVENT                               REFERENCE

22-OCT-44   Lt. Alta Widener arrives                      1
                    202nd Gen. Hosp.             
                    @ Camp Myles Standish, MA
_
   30-OCT-44   USS West Point (AP-23) departs                2
                    Boston Harbor w/202nd Gen Hosp
                    for UK (Note: AKA SS America in
                    civilian life)
   31-OCT-44   USS West Point (AP-23) departs                3,4
                    Boston Harbor w/201st Gen Hosp
                    for UK

_
   07-NOV-44   USS West Point (AP-23) arrives at             2
                    Liverpool, England   
   08-NOV-44   USS West Point (AP-23) arrives at             3,4
                    Liverpool, England   

09-NOV-44   Lt. Widener arrives UK w/202nd Gen Hosp.      1
_

??-NOV-44   202nd proceeds to Chester, England            2
_
   14-DEC-44   202nd moves to Southampton in                 2
                   preparation of crossing English
                   Channel to Le Havre
                   in a Victory Ship
_
                   Ship broke boom loading Sherman           2
                   tank. Departure delayed 10 days.
_
  24-DEC-44   202nd left Southampton                         2

NOTE: Troopship Leopoldville was          5
                   torpedoed and sunk while crossing
                   the Channel at the same time.

25-DEC-44  Lt. Widener departs UK                          1
                  NOTE: I know from working on my
                  father's history that orders were
                  often dated one or more days after
                  the actual event.
_

26-DEC-44  Lt. Widener arrives France                      1   

_
  31-DEC-44  202nd arrives Rouen, France. According to       2
                 this account, the ship could not land
                 at Le Havre due to the Battle of the
                 Bulge, so they went up the Seine river
                 to Rouen. [I'd like to confirm these
                 dates. Seven days to cross the English
                 Channel seems a bit excessive, even with
                 a detour up the Seine.]

Unit then spent time in "cigarette          2
                 camps" Pall Mall (Etretat) and
                 20 Grand (Rouen).

_
  5-JAN-45  202nd leaves for Paris.                          2
                "The unit was quartered in school
                dormitories in outskirts of Paris."
                Motor pool drivers were later moved
                to the 48th Gen. Hosp., Paris.
_   

14-JAN-45  202nd attached to 814th Hosp. Center            7

[Date unknown]  "The 202nd General Hospital arrived in     7
              the area and was assigned a location which
              required considerable modification before it
              could function properly. One chest #60 was
              was obtained so that dental treatment could be
              given personnel of the organization. The
              additional dental personnel were placed on
              detached service to the 7th General Dispensary
              at the Eastman Clinic."

[Date unknown]  "Convalescent patients and rehabilitees    7
              of all hospitals were transferred to the
              202nd General Hospital while that unit
              was still in the process of setting up
              its plant."

_
  [Date unknown]  "Hospitals which were handicapped because  7
               of lack of space of A & B rehabilitation
               patients sent them to the 202nd (US) General
               Hospital whcih was devoted completely to
               rehabilitation because deficiencies of
               physical plant left it inadequate to take
               care of new patients."

_
  [Date unknown]  "Officer and enlisted personnel have        7
               been billeted in permanent type structures,
               except for the enlisted personnel of the
               202nd General Hospital and 302nd Station
               Hospital who were accomodated in tentage."
               "Lyster bags were used at the 202nd Genera
               Hospital and the 302nd Station Hospital, since
               the water supply of these units did not come
               from a source approved by the Section Surgeon."
               "The 202nd General Hospital demonstrated
               originality and initiative in adapting
               their [cooking and messing] facilities
               to tentage."   
               "Sewage was disposed of through the use of
               the municipal system except at the 202nd
               General Hospital where two (2) septic tanks
               were constructed to dispose of raw sewage."

_
  [Date unknown]  "The doctor [Dr. Richard Reeser Jr.]spent     9
               part of his career in the service. He entered
               the Army as a captain in 1942 and was a major
               and chief of medicine at MacDill Field Station
               Hospital, Tampa, until October 1944. He became
               the chief of medicine at the 202nd General
               Hospital in Paris as a lieutenant colonel."

_
  JAN-45    "During the month of January the new units,        7
            191st, 194th, 198th, and 202nd General Hospitals
            were oriented and given assistance in setting
            up the Nursing Services."

_
  FEB-45    "[Dental] Inspection reports revealed all units    7
            to be either superior or excellent with the
            excpetion of the 202nd General Hospital. This
            latter exception is dueto no fault of the
            unit itself, but rather to the fact that no
            progress had been made by the Engineers on
            construction of a clinic. Two officers were
            providing all service possible under 'field
            conditions'."

_
  MAR-45    "Because of a shortage of nurses and the heavy    7
               patient load many of the hospitals found it
               a necessity to have the nurses work a twelve
               hour day for a period of several months. By
               March, they were becoming noticeably fatigued
               and plans were instituted for leave. Seven
               day leaves to the United Kingdom were begun
               5 March 1945 and to the Riviera 1 May 1945.
               Seventy-two hour passes to Brussels and the
               Normandy Club in Paris were also begun in May."               

_

MAR-45    "During the month of March, the following changes  8
             occurred in officer personnel:
             Captain Amos V. Persing, Jr., who had been
             with the organization for over two and a half years,
             as our Battalion Surgeon, was released from assignment
             and assigned to the 202nd General Hospital, on a
             rotation policy within the theater for deserving
             medical officers."

_
   17-MAR-45  Lt. Widener completed Tour of Duty             1
                  Proceeds to 62nd Gen Hosp, Tour of Duty

25-MAR-45  Lt. Widener sick in Hospital.                  1
       thru
   28-MAR-45
_

4-APR-45  "Captain Dante V. Duarte was transferred      10
               from "C" Company [77th Armored Medical
               Bn., 7th Armored Division) to the
               202nd General Hospital."

_

02-MAY-45  Lt. Widener placed on Detached Service         1
            w/365th Sta. Hosp, EDCMR

17-MAY-45  Lt. Widener completed Detached Service.        1

_
      MAY-45  "The 202nd General Hospital did not function   7
              as a 1000 bed General Hospital Service
              per se until the middle of May. Assigned
              personnel and table of equipment was sufficent
              but the building, water and sewage disposal
              was a problem to be solved until early in May."
_

02-JUN-45  Saw spouse (Lt. Arthur Frederick, 6th Armored  6
              Division) in Paris                                   

28-JUN-45  Lt. Widener reported to 40th General           1
              Hospital from 202nd GH. 

_

JUL-45  "During the month of July nurses were          7
              redeployed into 202nd and 198th General
              Hospitals preparatory to transfer direct
              to the Pacific Theater and the units moved
              to the marshalling area."

_

19-JUL-45  Lt. Widener granted 7 days leave               1                         

22-AUG-45  Lt. Widener : Tour of duty at                  1
               365th Station Hosp., 
               not to exceed 7 days.
              Placed on Detached Service from 40th Gen. Hosp
_

AUG-45  "The 40th and 194th General hospitals were      7
              closed...and the nurses of the of the 40th
              General Hospital were placed on detached
              service in the various hospitals in
              Paris...Nurses with the highest ASR score
              were flown home and others assigned to the
              40th General Hospital for shipment to the
              United States by boat."

_

3-SEP-45  Lt. Widener released from 40th GH,             1
             reported to 191st GH

26-SEP-45  Lt. Widener released from 191st GH,            1
              Assigned to 1st GH,
              remaining Detached Service at 191st GH

_

OCT-45 "A total of two hundred eighty-nine (289)       7
             nurses were redeployed to the USA with
             the 23rd, 36th and 1st General Hospitals
             in October 1945."

_                   
    1-OCT-45  Lt. Widener released from DS 191st,            1
                trfd to 1st GH.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1. Orders, Lt. Alta Widener, ANC,
   http://www.med-dept.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=667

2. Gerald L. "Jerry" Bigalk, "We Remember", compiled by
   Dayle L. DeBry, Google Books,
   http://books.google.com/books?id=y8Z0Kq9xBUUC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=%22202nd+general+hospital%22&source=bl&ots=vQw_orgPXK&sig=WQoLGN9ZyO1R3mriVmaZuvCrs1E&hl=en#v=onepage&q=%22202nd%20general%20hospital%22&f=false

3. Troop ship sailings, http://www.ww2troopships.com/crossings/1944b.htm

4. USS West Point sailing logs, http://www.usswestpoint.com/newsletters/shipslog.pdf

5. Wikipedia entry regarding Leopoldville, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Leopoldville

6. Dated family photograph (June 2, 1945, Paris) showing Alta, Alma, Arthur.

7. Excerpts from 814th Hospital Center papers photocopied by Lois Shiner Montbertrand during her 203rd GH research.

8. Excerpt from "HISTORICAL NARRATIVE 1943 to 1945
1st BATTALION 77th FIELD ARTILLERY(AKA 634th FA BN) ",
http://www.77fa.org/WWII_narrative.html

9. Obituary, Dr. Richard Reeser Jr.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/33366637.html?FMT=FT&dids=33366637:33366637&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+23%2C+1998&author=ROMAINE+KOSHARSKY&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&desc=Dr.+Richard+Reeser+Jr.%2C+88%2C+former+Mound+Park+Hospital+staff+chief

and

The Medical Department of the United States Army in World War II., Volume 1 By United States. Army Medical Service, United States. Surgeon-General's Office
http://books.google.com/books?id=fHgwAAAAIAAJ&q=%22202d+General+Hospital%22&dq=%22202d+General+Hospital%22&lr=

10. After Action Reports of the 77th Armored Medical Battalion (MS Word format),
http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/N-77-AAR.doc

Addendum 090815: I was unfamiliar with "Lyster Bag" referenced in the 814th Hospital Center notes. There's a good article on them at http://www.olive-drab.com/od_medical_other_lyster_bag.php. Hard to imagine an entire General Hospital depending on these for their water supply.

Addendum 090822: And if I had looked more carefully, I would have seen that there was a fine discussion right here, at http://www.med-dept.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=507.
Last edited by bfrederi on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

bfrederi
Private First Class
Private First Class

[REF] 202nd Gen Hosp and Camp Cooke

Wed Aug 19, 2009 01:57

When doing research, sometimes you hit a gold mine.

I felt that way a few weeks ago when I discovered med-dept.com, and I had another euphoric moment at lunch today when I hit Google for the umpteenth time, and suddenly stumbled across a map of US Army medical facilities in Paris, 1945.

The original is posted at footnote.com: http://www.footnote.com/image/166618333/

by Lynne Bell, who has documented the service of her father, Richard F. Peacock, Sergeant Major at the 814th Hospital Center. Lynne has graciously allowed me to reproduce her father's map in my own 202nd General Hospital research. The 202nd is shown as occupying a facility on the bank of the Seine, in the northwest quadrant:

us_med_facilities_paris_1945.jpg
Map showing US Army medical facilities in Paris 1945, from papers of Master Sergeant Richard F. Peacock, 814th Hospital Center. Courtesy of his daughter Lynne Bell.

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Aug 19, 2009 03:33

Bingo! Thanks, Bruce....Great map.

And you can kind of pinpoint the time period from it, as well. The 815th Hospital Center shows on the map, and that entity had a relatively short life. I'm not at home to verify this with the documents, but I think the 815th was created in February of 1945, and disbanded after VE Day in May, 1945.

It was a sort of subcenter to the 814th, to help with administration of the many medical units coming into Paris, but after VE Day, quite a few of those units were designated for service in the Far East, and the 815th was inactivated.

The 814th continued its work in Paris until at least the end of 1945.

Lois

Alain
Major
Major

Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:27

Hi Lois, Hi Bruce,
Sincere thanks for adding the extra data ! The map for sure is a fantastic find, no doubt .
I did some further digging and can confirm the following :
811th Hospital Center activated Jan 45 (control of Hospitals & medical installations in the Normandy Base Section)
812th Hospital Center activated Jan 45 (control of Hospitals & medical installations in the Normandy Base Section)
814th Hospital Center activated Feb 45 (control of Hospitals & medical installations in the Seine Section, i.e. north of the Seine River, located in Paris)
815th Hospital Center activated Feb 45 (control of Hospitals & medical installations in the Seine Section, i.e. south of the Seine River, located in Paris)
818th Hospital Center activated Dec 44 (control of Hospitals & medical installations in southeastern Belgium, located in Liège)
819th Hospital Center activated Dec 44 (control of Hospitals & medical installations in northeastern France, located in Bar-le-Duc)

I still miss the location of the 811th and 812th HC - Normandy Base Section > either Cherbourg, Chef-du-Pont, La Haye-du-Puits, Carentan, or Lison ... :?:

Just for info, the following HC were established in the United Kingdom : 12th HC (Great Malvern) 15th HC (Cirencester) 801st HC (Taunton) 802d HC (Blandford) 803d HC (Devizes) 804th HC Whitchurch) 805th HC Newmarket)

Best regards ,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

skoyen89
Corporal
Corporal

Hospital Centers - 809th Hospital Center

Sun Oct 04, 2009 20:14

It seems that many of the Hospital centers that existed in France had very short lives. As an example the 809th HC was activated 15.1.45 at the 91st General Hospital in Oxford and on 8.2.45 arrived in France. However it only moved to the Convent de Notre Dame at St Erme, Aisne in France on 14 April 45 and was not operational until 25 May 45 - after VE Day. It supervised six General Hospitals and two Station Hospitals, one of which was a German (Provisional) Station Hospital where German POWs did the work on POWs.

It is not in your list below.

Regards
Tony
Researching US General and Station Hospitals in UK, France and Belgium 1942-6

Return to “Reference Topics”