Bob M

[REF] Morphine syrettes

Wed Sep 30, 2009 17:33

I have three morphine syrettes in my Medical Collection at the moment, and while picturing I noticed differences on all three boxes. Different color, different text stencilled on the boxes. Anyone knows more different types? These syrettes are all coming from the Aeronautic Aid Kits.

Bob

Bob M

Re: [REF] Morphine syrettes

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38

Does anyone have the original Army issue (not Navy) 5 tube boxes for these morphine syrettes? Love to see some good pictures of it to compare with my own box, which is on the way.

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Jan 30, 2010 02:49

Hi Bob,

Here's a shot of the 5-box from my collection. It's in pretty bad condition, but this should give you a good overview of the box and its internal design. I have also included one of my reproduction boxes in the photograph for comparison.

Thanks,
Ben ;)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

seadog30
Private

Sat Mar 13, 2010 23:37

What are the small wax paper wrapped bandages next to the styrette box in the first picture? I just picked up 2 of them dated 1943 and am not sure what they were originally intended for.
Thanks!
Rick

Bob M

Sun Mar 14, 2010 15:50

This is my 5 tube box. Still don't know for sure if it's an original one, or a very good repro. Maybe you guys can help me out.
Attachments
IMG_2165.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2163.JPG
IMG_2162.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Mar 14, 2010 18:49

Hi Bob,

As far as I know, I'm the only person that is currently offering this item as a reproduction. I have consulted the box that I am making and I must admit that it strikes a number of similarities with the one you've posted. I wonder whether or not it would be possible for you to provide some illustrations of the inside compartments in this box. Also, can you confirm the Control Number printed on the rear hinge of the box is, as it appears, Control: 2K 47136, or is it Control: 2K 47156?

The example I have in my collection (and the one around which the reproduction was produced) features the identical SP Number to the example you've posted, as well as some idiosyncrasies I put into the reproductions to tell them apart from originals. Of particular interest here is the text "Control" on the rear hinge. The original example I have does not have a completed serif on the "t" (i.e. the left serif does not connect to the top of the character) however on the reproductions, it does. I must admit that based on these photographs you've posted, the item looks like an aged version of the reproduction I produce. Obviously it's difficult to say for certain without seeing the piece in hand, or indeed knowing its history. I wonder where you came by this one?

Thanks,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

Bob M

Sun Mar 14, 2010 20:26

It is marked Control: 2K 47136 on the side. Is that OK? But the inside looks strange. Inside the box is made from white cardboard, but looks like some kind of tape is used to use to bed from the outside to the inside of the box. Will make some pics later this week.

Bob

milsurvive
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:13

If the Control number is 2K 47156 it is probably one of Ben's repos aged and sold as an original. With the condition of the box its probably very hard to tell a 5 from a 3. Which is probably the plan. Regarding an earlier question the wrapped wax covered bandages next to the single syrette boxes. They are gauze rolls used to apply dressings. They come in different widths. Off the top of my head I believe they are usually a USN item during WW2. You can tell by the stock number. However post war during Vietnam they were included in the early issue Vietnam War jungle kits. They could also be found in the the larger First Aid kits that were Army issue.

milsurvive
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Apr 04, 2010 04:55

This is a list of Reproduction syrette boxes I've obtained over the years. Obtained by just asking dealers who were selling reproduction boxes what the control numbers were on them.....Not complete for sure. I am not saying all boxes with these numbers are bad. Maybe there are collectors who have original copies of these.

Five syrette box
2K 47156

Single Syrette Box
2M 7160
2M 7123
2M 7162
60-2608

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Apr 04, 2010 14:31

just found these on ebay whats the going price for a complete box http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-E-R-Squibb-So ... 4a9ff65eda

Ben
Major
Major

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23

Matt,
I have seen individual syrettes sell from between $100 and $200 recently. That having been said it means that he's charging top dollar for the syrettes themselves and in turn $200 for the box which is broken (the hinge seems to be missing or broken from the way he's taken the photographs). My original cost only £60.00, without syrettes obviously!
I hope the above helps,
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:55

Ben wrote:Matt,
I have seen individual syrettes sell from between $100 and $200 recently. That having been said it means that he's charging top dollar for the syrettes themselves and in turn $200 for the box which is broken (the hinge seems to be missing or broken from the way he's taken the photographs). My original cost only £60.00, without syrettes obviously!
I hope the above helps,

Thanks Ben they're out of my price range at the moment but i thought i would ask,matt.

LOZ
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Apr 05, 2010 23:38

I think someone is taking the wotsit here, my box of five complete syrettes cost me £35, and I am sure that Ben is right on the mark for the current prices.
I know things have gone up a bit but that is just silly money.
are we talking about military antique or the street value of the contents.

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:45

The seller's prices as discussed are a little high in my opinion. He's asking top-end prices for the syrettes themselves, and then in turn asking $200 for the box. I suppose though, the market value really depends upon what the buyer is willing to pay!
Regards,
Ben ;)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

LOZ
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant