johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: My kit plan

Sat Oct 17, 2009 08:38

WOLF wrote:1st ID Medic,
.....any else i need?

Well, it all depends on what campaign you want to represent....

The 1ID fought pretty much in every theater of WW2, and each of those battles saw uniform and equipment changes...

for example, the M43 field jacket you show would only have been used from late 1944 onwards, so you cannot portray a North Africa, Sicily or Normandy set-up with that...
'29th, Let's Go!'

Ben
Major
Major

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:31

I must admit that I was going to echo Johan's comments really. If you're wanting to put together a Normandy or earlier impression, then you should order the M41 Field Jacket and Wool Trousers combination.

Also, a word of advice on the M1 Helmet - if you can afford it, I'd certainly recommend that you purchase one of Josh Murray's excellent reproductions. I had a look on At The Front's website and it seems that their 'Economy M1 Helmet' (a picture of which you linked to in your post) actually comprises a swivel bail, back seam shell, and a US Vietnam of Belgian plastic liner. As you might be aware the purist re-enactor would ideally wear a fixed bail shell (or at least a front seam) since this would typically then allow you to portray a number of campaigns. Also, it's preferable to have a correct US-made fibre liner for the helmet, in case you wish to display in the internals.

Of course, as Johan has already indicated it largely depends upon which campaign you wish to portray in your re-enactment.

Thanks,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

WOLF
Private

Sat Oct 17, 2009 15:31

Thanks guys, I am going for after D-Day to 45 ETO so I want a immprsion for both sould I just get a m41 and an m43? And get the right corract helmet.

Skypig
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Oct 18, 2009 15:53

M41 will do for the entire war. No need for the M43, unless you want one. Mike

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 20, 2009 13:23

Hi,why are you buying everything from ATF when original items are available from Ebay and militaria dealers at chaeper prices (well apart from the yoke) cheers matt .

Return to “Reference Topics”