dano
Private

starilization kit

Thu Dec 31, 2009 17:25

DSC01567.JPG
My wife got me, well what she was told, a personal starilization kit and i was wondering if anyone out there had any
DSC01568.JPG
info like how and what it was used for i've attached two photo's of it

Ben
Major
Major

Re: starilization kit

Thu Dec 31, 2009 17:39

Dano,
Thanks for your registration on this Forum.
The item that you have posted here is officially designated as a Hypodermic Needle Sterilizer (Med. Dept. Item No. 9951500). These were issued to Dental personnel as part of their individual equipment. Please see the following Article on our website for more information about the kits in which the Sterilizer was included:
Kits of Dental Personnel
Thanks and Happy New Year,
Ben ;)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

dano
Private

Fri Jan 01, 2010 01:50

thanks for the info on the starilization kit now i know

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Jan 02, 2010 23:38

Congratulations on your gift! Isn't that a wonderfully made item. It was issued to all medical, veterinary and dental officers, and was in the medical chest #1 and the medical pack B. It was used in conjunction with the hypodermic syringe set. It had two purposes;
1. To prepare medication for injection. A tablet for injection, for example atropine, was dissolved in the proper amount of water and sterilized by boiling. When cool the proper amount was drawn up by the syringe for injection. A lot of math to get the right dose, and so, so slow. I have done this and it really takes a long time to prepare an injection in the desired dose.
2. The used needle was cleaned, then re-sterilized by boiling in plain water.
The way the syringe kit is engeneered, there is no need to touch the needle throughout the entire procedure, and the syringe itself is not resterilized as it never comes incontact with the patient. Not in keeping with todays thinking, but very proper by 1940's standards. Methyl alcohol, alcohol stove fuel or shellac thinner is the proper fuel for the burner.

Return to “Reference Topics”