Alain
Major
Major

Plastic Eyes

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:06

Hi everyone,
Further to the last correspondence on the subject (ref. 30th Gen Hosp query), I came upon some interesting data re the development and the manufacturing of 'artificial' eyes in WW2. Reference is "The Army Nurse" Magazine, Volume 2, Number 6, dated June 1945.

The Article states :
The Birmingham General Hospital Plastic Artificial Eye program started in January 1945 in a lab specially fitted for that purpose. The Officer in charge is Captain Arthur L. Lundblad, DC, who was trained for this work at the Valley Forge General Hospital in Pennsylvania. Dental Officers were chosen for this delicate work because their work most closely resembled plastic artificial eye construction. Training is only one month, yet the product is equal in quality and appearance and superior to the finest glass eye created by Technicians trained for six years in the art of glass blowing.

Birmingham General Hospital's work with plastic artificial eyes is typical of the work performed by other General Hospitals throughout the United States. The initial process was developed by 3 Army Dentists; Major Victor H. Dietz, Major Milton S. Wirtz, and Captain Stanley F. Erpf, who, working together at Valley Forge General Hospital, trained other Dental Officers in the work.

Plastic eyes are lighter, easier to manufacture, indestructible, and cheaper. While stock glass eyes cost from $ 10.00 to $ 20.00 and custom made eyes may cost up to $ 300.00, a plastic eye can be made for less than $ 5.00.

Alain :idea:
MRC Administrator

Thunderbolt Films
Private

Re: Plastic Eyes

Sun May 20, 2018 22:10

Good Day;
I am working with my daughter who is making a documentary film about Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Milton T. Edgerton. He praises the work done at Valley Forge during his tour from 1945 - 1947 for helping him to focus on reconstructive surgery and the compassion and understanding needed for those with difference. If anyone can help me obtain information about this hospital such as, photos of the hospital, surgery suites, if there was a camp newspaper and the like, I'd be very appreciative. If you are interested, please email me directly at palspangler@gmail.com and I'll gladly send you a link to a 20 minute film trailer so you can see the scope of our work. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Sincerely, Linda Spangler

Return to “Reference Topics”